Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    more supply ducts are going to be added in the spring,thats for the room furthest from the air handler that has low air supply!not noise.

Quote Originally Posted by mghurley View Post
    I am about to have a York PC9B12N080DH11 installed, modulating, 80,000 BTU, 1,200 CFM. In a 1/7/2008 post slick 1234 stated his York 9CP was very noisy and another post indicated noise like a jet plane. Did York solve the problem?

Any comments? Also did York solve the 9CP noise problem?

Thanks
    If a load calc allows you to drop from a 120,000 to an 80,000 BTU furnace.
    You should have a quite system.
    Yes, a Manual D would tell you a lot about your duct system. But usually, when replacing a 120,000 with a 80,000, the duct is ok.

York itself does NOT have a noise problem.

A slight rumbling noise at start up is normal for all VS blowers.
    The PC9 80,000BTU 95% will need to move a lot less air then your current 120,000. So it should be a lot quieter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

York PC9 modulating and York PV8 Furnace

I goofed, in my posting earlier today. I gave the wrong model number for the 80% furnace York installed in November it should have been a York PV8 furnace. I gave you a Carrier model number, I have too much paper I have down loaded from the internet front of me. The corrected paragraph is as follows:

"The York 9CP furnace will replace a York PV8, 80%, 120,000 BTU, 2,000 CFM variable speed fan that that was installed in November and has severe noise problems. The fan sounds like a 747 jet taking off that you can hear all over the house and across the street with the garage doors closed. York replaced the motor three times, it did not solve the problem. They will take back the furnace and install another one. I will pay the difference for the modulating furnace."

To answer your question, York when they were out at my house questioned the duct size but did not state that they should be enlarged. They just replaced the fan motor three times then offered to replace the furnace. The conclusion that the furnace is too large for the duct work in my house is my own based upon the York PV8 installation Manual which states for the 2,000 CFM fan:
    Minimum return duct sizing for proper air flow: 24" dia, 390 sqin.
    My return duct size is 16" dia, 210 sqin.

The York PC9 furnace I plan to install the installation manual states the minimum return duct size for 1,200 CFM should be:
    Minimum return duct size 18" dia, 280 sqin.
    Since the furnace, which will be used in heat only mode, will normally if not always be operating significantly below 1,200 CFM. I thought this would be OK. The supply side ducts are not accessible so I focused on the return ducts.

Thanks for you comments.

Has York solved the noise problems described in the earlier posts?

Again, all VS motors have a slight runmble as they determine which rotation to use.
    If the furnace is in a basement you won't hear it.(York uses the Emerson motor the same as the other manufacturers)

Only had 1 inducer that was loud.

So I still say York itself does NOT have a noise problem.
    Some units may be misinstalled, and that can create noise problems.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Again, all VS motors have a slight runmble as they determine which rotation to use.
    If the furnace is in a basement you won't hear it.(York uses the Emerson motor the same as the other manufacturers)

Only had 1 inducer that was loud.

So I still say York itself does NOT have a noise problem.
    Some units may be misinstalled, and that can create noise problems.
    Ditto.

Most duct systems are too small for furnaces.

York doesn't have a noise problem.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

York gave us a new inductor motor and we replaced it - the contractor (brother
    in law) did this. I also redid the piping for the exhaust and intake - my
    contractor put in 10 90 degree's elbows - I redid it so there are 5 90 degree
    elbow (actually put 2 45's for each 90). But the problem has not gone away.

You mentioned the duct work could be the problem - my house is
    2700 spft and we got a tin-guy to adapt the new furnace into the
    old space (since the new furnace is smaller) - the furnace is
    80k btu - what would you suggest for the modification of the ducts?

Also how do you change the blower speed with the jumper as I can not
    find the jumper that does this (all other furnaces do I noticed)?

thanks,
    Steve

The jumper isn't for blower speed like you would think on a regular furnace in heat mode.
    Its a + or - jumper.
    What size was the original furnace, and what size is the ductwork from the plenum.
    Contractor locator map

The plenum is 24 x 24 inches. I am not sure of the size of the old
    furnace - never really looked - but is was really quiet - it seems the
    amount of air being pushed is the same and the flow of air seems the
    same as before (not measured, just seems that way)

If I was to add more registers and air intakes, would that help?
    Not want to do unless I have to as this is very invasive.

Thanks.

Sorry, the plenum is 24x24x48 inches

This is one of the risks that come with having your relation trying to help save you money. York sells 1000's of furnaces that go in without any problems by experienced contractors.

I had more typed but my good side won

Quote Originally Posted by slick1234 View Post
    If I was to add more registers and air intakes, would that help?
    Not want to do unless I have to as this is very invasive.
    I don't think you should do anything until you can get a complete analysis of your ductwork. That's my next step.

I have the same problem. Old home, new furnace, noisy system (I have the coleman version of the mod but it's the same thing). I think my problem is duct related, can't handle the airflow but I really don't know. Trying to find a good contractor to help, but finding someone is slow going.

On a funny note: I tried to get Coleman customer service to put me in touch with someone familiar with the Mod furnace and/or older homes. They gave me phone numbers for three dealers in my area. I called all three, none sold Coleman equipment. One guy did 15 years ago but only for mobile homes. York seems to have a better support network IMO.

The inducer 'is' noisy - In our house we commonly refer to it as the UFO sound.
    http://www.bradybunchshrine.com/brad...nds1/bbufo.wav

The last guy who looked at it sells Coleman and Bryant. Seemed confused that the inducer only had two wires. Said other companies had several wires going to the inducer. Couldn't figure how they were modulating the inducer speed with just two wires. (I really don't know what he's talking about just repeating in case anyone cares to comment).

The vs fan causes the rest of the noise - probably related to my duct issues. If the cycle is too long the blower ramps up to high and it sounds like a freight train in the two rooms that are first in line off the supply. If you bump the heat up 1 or 2 degrees it can get to be a bit scary, like the thing is about to launch itself into outer space.

Also, my fuel consumption is up 15-20% each month since we replaced the 40 year old furnace and the average temps this year are 5-10 degrees warmer than last year.

-----

I'm worried that the inducer noise may just be an equipment design problem (not going away even if replaced). The freight train noise is probably duct related so I'll continue to search for someone to look at my ducts.

In the meantime, you can ask your contractor/york rep/or someone on this board if you can bump the heat rise jumper +10 and set your CPH to 6. The jumper change should slow the blower ramp up and the higher CPH will give you more cycling, again the blower won't have to ramp up as much during the cycle. Pick a temp and stick with it. I manually set it back 1 degree at night and bump it back up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    That's why you need to call the service company.
    Sounds like the ducts need a good cleaning.

Thats the plenum. But what is the size of the duct attached to the plenum.
    Contractor locator map

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast