Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

York 96 Affinity noise

We have a York 96 Affinity furnace and was installed last month. While running the unit creates a great deal of noise. It sounds like a jet engine. I called the installer back out and he checked the gas pressure and said it was all ok and the noise was normal. It is 10x louder then the old furnace so something must be wrong.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by slick1234; 01-07-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slick1234 View Post
    We have a York 96 Affinity furnace and was installed last month. While running the unit creates a great deal of noise. It sounds like a jet engine. I called the installer back out and he checked the gas pressure and said it was all ok and the noise was normal. It is 10x louder then the old furnace so something must be wrong.

Any ideas?
    There were two recent threads working, specifically about the noise level of the Affinity furnace. If you search the residential forum with key words Affinity, noise, jet plane, you may find them. The 2 posters may check in soon.

AM

Thanks ampulman. I looked and looked, but I found no others who have the same problem with their furnace.

Most likely scenario: Your jumpers are set incorrectly.

A close second: Your ductwork is too small.

Solution: Have service company verify proper jumper positions. Once corrected, pay someone to solve your duct issues.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks jrbenny,
    We checked the jumpers and there is no jumper for the Blower speed. The duct work is original for the house. The furnace is 80K btu and the
    house is about 2700 sq ft.

That's why you need to call the service company.

I have customers tell me this all the time after we pull an old conventional furnace and install a new inshot type the jet engine noise I have to show then why it's not as quite, the old burner type were quite because the gas was feed to a burner assembly and then the burner assemble heated the heat exchanger were the new ones the gas is fired directly into the heat exchanger it does make a difference in the noise, now of course here in Texas were talking 80% we don't sell a lot of the 90+ furnaces maybe there not suppose to make any noise I am not real familiar with those.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

This is the Mod your talking about right?
    Are you getting this noise as soon as it starts.
    Or after it runs for 10 minutes or more.

How long did it take him to check the manifold pressure. Can't check the mod like you would a normal single, or even a 2 stage furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The unit is a Modulating furnace and I can hear the sound as soon as the
    unit turns on (obviously louder as it hits it's max.). As the unit ramps up the sound increases.

The guy who checked the gas pressure took about 15 minutes (I watched him do it and we both confirmed the readings on his meter - can't rememeber numbers though).

Takes me 5 minutes just to set up my stuff for the readings.

If he checked it in the 3 firing rates he's suppose to, he's faster then me.
    We have one that the inducer itself is alittle noisey.
    Customer doesn't mind it, so we haven't changed it out.

So it makes trhe noise even before the burner ignites, or after the burner ignites.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We put on about 5 90 elbows on the exaust (max according to specs). I did hear that a common problem with these is the gas pressure and pressure may be too high eventhough specs say it is fine.

I did see the different firing rates as he measured them.

Freakin loud - wakes me up in the morning.

Does the model start with PM or PC?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast