Hybrid View

charging heat pump in heat mode

hey all im fairly new into the industry and been seeking the answer to this question and have been unable to come up with it.

What is the proper charge rules for a heat pump operating in heat mode? How do you go about charging in heat mode if the unit is low?
    -brian

Most will have the procedure on the control access panel.
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

There really is no correct answer for how to charge a heat pump in heat mode. In the panel they might have a "getcha close guide", but it won't be dead on. You will have to come back in the summer to get it perfect.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Wink

Ya wanna do it right? Recover, find and repair leak, evacuate, weigh in charge!

And,

Why is the OP asking this in an open forum, and not even a pro member? Didn't you read the rules of the site?

i cant ask a question?

I read the rules didnt seem to far off from the ability to seek advice in the forum from the rules i read.

Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    And,

Why is the OP asking this in an open forum, and not even a pro member? Didn't you read the rules of the site?

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    There really is no correct answer for how to charge a heat pump in heat mode. In the panel they might have a "getcha close guide", but it won't be dead on. You will have to come back in the summer to get it perfect.
    I think you have that backwards. A system can tolerate a over charge in cooling but it won't in heating. I would rather charge in the heating mode. I put a thermometer under the insulation and slowly add freon and watch the temp rise while also adhering to the charging chart on the unit. You better just about be dead on with these new high seer units with no accumulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
    .................................................. ...............................
    .................................................. .................................................
    You better just about be dead on with these new high seer units with no accumulator.
    I was under the impression that all heat pumps have accumulators. Which manufacturers are not designing one into their units?

Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    I was under the impression that all heat pumps have accumulators. Which manufacturers are not designing one into their units?
    For years some Lennox units didn't and may still don't and new Rheem units don't have them

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
    I think you have that backwards. A system can tolerate a over charge in cooling but it won't in heating. I would rather charge in the heating mode. I put a thermometer under the insulation and slowly add freon and watch the temp rise while also adhering to the charging chart on the unit. You better just about be dead on with these new high seer units with no accumulator.
    Every unit I've worked on has said on that paper to charge in cooling mode. I know you can charge it in heating mode, but I've never seen or heard of a 100% sure fire way to get it right on.... like you can in cooling.

But, before this gets too in depth we should likely wait to finish this debate off in the pro forum vs here.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

ok,here is thing i like to get soem input,believe most of ur have same experiences,when u adjust freon level for heat pump in heating mode,some ad freon will rasie vapor line temp and some remove freon to rasie vapor line temp,and if vapor line temp to high ad freon and vapor line temp to low remove freon?which one is right if u didnt weight it in or charge by subcool?

I charge 1/2 ounce at a time with the correct true suction pressure as my target. Saturation temperature should be about 10 degrees lower than OAT, depending on the unit.