Self-Pay into the Hall.

There's been an offer to "self-pay" into the Hall recently. $5.80/Hr for Health and Welfare, it seems high but the coverage is unequaled. There's also the availability of self-paying $0.75/Hr into the Pension B, a 401K plan.
    Example, if you work for a non-Union shop you pay your Dues (a.k.a. membership Dues or windshield Dues). There's no Working Assessment (working dues) to pay. If you get $27.50/Hr, you would send the Hall $6.55/Hr if you took the H and W; and 401K.

I guess for some people it will be worth it. Especially for those without healthcare. Around 240 a week is a lot for healthcare. What happens if you do not get 40 hrs one week?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

In reference to the hours bank? That's a very good question. I'm trying to get some answers.

For members it includes the family. I guess it would work for the voluntary payers the same. Is the intent to build the numbers. I know with falling hours being a problem for many systems, maybe this could work.
    Usually when members are for instance an owner/member, they pay the monthly assessment regardless of the hours.
    Tracers work both ways.

To pay 40 Hrs in fringes on slow weeks, ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    To pay 40 Hrs in fringes on slow weeks, ouch.

What needs to be said though is a Union trades person doesn't pay into H&W or pension, the contractor makes that contribution.
    If a non-union person decides to take part in self-pay it won't be long before they realize if they were Union it would cost them nothing.
    I wouldn't be surprised that Obamacare will be what we all will have soon.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    What needs to be said though is a Union trades person doesn't pay into H&W or pension, the contractor makes that contribution.
    If a non-union person decides to take part in self-pay it won't be long before they realize if they were Union it would cost them nothing.
    I wouldn't be surprised that Obamacare will be what we all will have soon.
    The contractor signs to pay a package, health insurance is just one of the items that comes out of that package.. I would love to get my full contract hourly rate and only spend $6.00 an hour on H&W. If what I read is correct, obamacare will make that H&W money that comes out of the package taxable, that would be a really big hit for me..

My H and W is 90/10 with a maximum of $600 family deductible. $25 copay for emergency room. Next best thing would be free!

Quote Originally Posted by hevysrf View Post
    The contractor signs to pay a package, health insurance is just one of the items that comes out of that package.. I would love to get my full contract hourly rate and only spend $6.00 an hour on H&W. If what I read is correct, obamacare will make that H&W money that comes out of the package taxable, that would be a really big hit for me..
    It should have always been technically taxable. All income is considered taxable even a barter. It is no different from income. The lobbyists have protected it. I'm not saying good/bad but it is income because if it wasn't given as a perk you would need to buy it with after tax income.. Understand that taxes aren't necessarily on earned income rate. The Gov could decide to tax the perk less than normal income as the end result is to relieve the health care system.
    What you now pay for insurance is deductible on your taxes. What different here is an employer paying your health care as a perk. That could be considered as income.
    What might be around the corner is contractors deciding not to contribute to H&W, give you the money and say go get your own H&W.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    My H and W is 90/10 with a maximum of $600 family deductible. $25 copay for emergency room. Next best thing would be free!
    Ya but all is subject to change with out notice. This will be a rocky road.
    Tracers work both ways.