+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange manifold pressures ?

Post Likes

Strange manifold pressures ?

Hi: I replace a leaking evap. coil in hud house miller heater. Got a "A" coil almost exact dimensions, except its a 3 ton in place of 2.5 ton evap., fit like a glove. Installed new 2.5 ton 410-A condenser. installation paper said. r22= .73 piston, 410-a = .67 piston.
    So I went with smaller piston. A little longer line set also. After running 15 minutes had 250/155 at manifold gauges. Only 4 degrees of super heat. 85 degrees outside dry bulb. only 5 degree's diff. off top of condenser fan. Was thinking of changing to smaller piston. any thoughts, thanks.

Post Likes
    What are the temps inside. Return air db, wb and supply

Post Likes
    The homeowners were leaving on a trip as I finished. indoor dry blub was about 83 degrees, 64 degrees coming from floor registers.

Post Likes
    does not sound bad but maybe try to go back and check under normal conditions

Post Likes
    Yeh: I'm going back Monday. It will still be around 80 degrees outside. Hope the homeowner doesnt says its cool, but never shuts off. If that's the case , I guess my next move would be to put a smaller piston in evap.

Post Likes
    You need to get return wb and charge by target sh. You either overcharged it. Or its your typical hud house low airflow issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Personally, I would have installed a txv on a mismatched unit just to let it take the work out of guessing.
    Advice is always free, but keep in mind free does not mean it's always right.

Post Likes
    Seeing mismatched units a lot with the wrong fan speed.

Post Likes
    need
    Indoor Wet Bulb
    condenser dry bulb
    vapor pressure
    vapor lime temp.

if you have a smart ph, down load check and charge

Post Likes
    The chart you looked at was from the evap coil, and not the condenser. That chart was for a 3 ton system, not a 2.5 ton. So you have a 3 ton piston in it, but only a 2.5 ton condenser.

Look at condenser to see if it list a piston size, or only TXVs. Take a 59, 63 and 65 piston with you and see which works better if the condenser does list a size.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye52 View Post
    Hi: I replace a leaking evap. coil in hud house miller heater. Got a "A" coil almost exact dimensions, except its a 3 ton in place of 2.5 ton evap., fit like a glove. Installed new 2.5 ton 410-A condenser. installation paper said. r22= .73 piston, 410-a = .67 piston.
    So I went with smaller piston. A little longer line set also. After running 15 minutes had 250/155 at manifold gauges. Only 4 degrees of super heat. 85 degrees outside dry bulb. only 5 degree's diff. off top of condenser fan. Was thinking of changing to smaller piston. any thoughts, thanks.
    If you don't know how to charge a piston metered system, then a different piston won't help. Google "How to charge a piston metered system".

https://www.google.com/#q=How+to+cha...em&safe=active
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 06-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Post Likes
    The space may be to too limited for a trx valve. The system is not over charge, with no frigerant add and long line set. The condenser came with two pistons ( .60 & .61) , they are too small to fit in evaporator receiver. I did buy a .61 from supplier Saturday that will fit. With some of your suggestion, I think I will pull back charge, swap piston. Maybe reuse dryer, then a good evac. Hopefully pressures will look better and super heat will also.

Post Likes
    Ah, so you used the 3 ton piston that came with the evap coil. That will over feed the evap when using a 2.5 ton condenser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye52 View Post
    The space may be to too limited for a trx valve. The system is not over charge, with no frigerant add and long line set. The condenser came with two pistons ( .60 & .61) , they are too small to fit in evaporator receiver. I did buy a .61 from supplier Saturday that will fit. With some of your suggestion, I think I will pull back charge, swap piston. Maybe reuse dryer, then a good evac. Hopefully pressures will look better and super heat will also.
    Because of THIS, we spec all new construction by contractors have TXV external of AHU:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EMETH View Post
    Because of THIS, we spec all new construction by contractors have TXV external of AHU:
    FWIW the only part you would see is the bulb.

All the carrier/bryant and trane/AS txv's are factory installed and are inside the cabinet.
    maybe spec some equipment with them installed at the factory?

Here you have somebody that was not willing to make a run to the parts house to get the proper part, a teflon ring to make a good seal. They decided to "fix it". Well you can see the results.
    Last edited by r-290; 06-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The chart you looked at was from the evap coil, and not the condenser. That chart was for a 3 ton system, not a 2.5 ton. So you have a 3 ton piston in it, but only a 2.5 ton condenser.

Look at condenser to see if it list a piston size, or only TXVs. Take a 59, 63 and 65 piston with you and see which works better if the condenser does list a size.

X2 my chart says 59 for 410a 2.5 ton

Post Likes
    Put the smaller piston in and it ran like a champ, thanks for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in