Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Acadia Heat Pump

I have been approached to be a dealer for this new heat pump. Supposed to produce 97 degree supply air temp at -30 degrees, without auxiliary heat strips. Anyone who has seen or heard of these new units let me know. I do know one thing. If this is for real, a revolutionary product, but the PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really high.

I have installed two of the original units when they were called cold climate heat pump. They will work as advertised IF your winter temps are below25 degrees a lot. the colder it gets they more btu's they will produce. We were left hanging when they ran out of money, but Duane Hallowell ( now the president)has pulled together a group of investors ( he used to work for Cold Climate)and it looks like they will pull it off this time. When cold Climate first came to town I met Duane H. In the training he was doing. He is a very talented engineer. If you have really cold winters they will be worth the price.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Check our other threads here on the subject- mine from a couple of months ago titled All Climate heat pumps and one just the other day about Hallowell. I assume you have seen the extensive web site with all the links, including the white paper and history. gotohallowell.com

This is now seemingly a very different animal than when Nyle had licensed the technolgy and didn't do it right. Shaw took it back and now Hallowell is running with ball quite well.They seem so together. Price is high but could be the next BIG thing very soon according tot he awards they are garnering! You should definitely consider it.

I went and checked out their web site http://www.hallowellengineering.com/ and too was quite impressed. I am in Southwest Michigan and have natural gas avail but am seriously considering replacing my 17 year old Rheem 90 Plus with one. Electric rates are much more stable and predictable and in this area water source would normally be the only practical heat pump solution. The Halowell Acadia however comes out about half the price when you add in the price for a ground loop or well for a water source solution.

I am hoping that there will be a qualified installing dealer in this area soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SJProwler View Post
    I went and checked out their web site http://www.hallowellengineering.com/ and too was quite impressed. I am in Southwest Michigan and have natural gas avail but am seriously considering replacing my 17 year old Rheem 90 Plus with one. Electric rates are much more stable and predictable and in this area water source would normally be the only practical heat pump solution. The Halowell Acadia however comes out about half the price when you add in the price for a ground loop or well for a water source solution.

I am hoping that there will be a qualified installing dealer in this area soon.
    These heat pumps are intrigueing to me, as I live in a cold climate. Although, I don't need a new heat pump right now. Anyways, does anyone know if the Hallowell heat pumps have demand defrost or time temp etc?

thorton

Demand

If it were me, I'd be nervous until the company is proven. Afterall, the guy has left dealers "hanging" before. Not a good place to be, reputation wise

I would respectfully suggest that if you have read all the materials available, both from the Hallowell web site, US Wesco etc. and various studies and news articles that can be found by Googling, you will see that this company has gone about proving itself well after the false step of the Nyle licensing. The failure of that partnership was due to the lack of follow through and commitment to excellence that Shaw demanded. Hence his taking back the technology and the now several years old and tested in the market partnership with Hallowell, with the Acadia .
    I thoroughly admire the integrity of someone who would not compromise on his vision and confidence in his design. They have been used in the northwest and in various other palces for several years and have even been used in government housing.Keep exploring and/or contact Hallowell directly for more confirming facts and figures.

Quote Originally Posted by accutrol View Post
    ...... a revolutionary product, but the PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really high.
    What is the price of the new Acadia, 3 ton model?

How does the price compare to a Trane 19i?

Excellent

Hallowell are one of the finest companies I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Excellent product also.

3 ton system. outdoor unit, indoor unit and t-stat. 8500+.
    I do not know what the trane system runs.

Hey ah, were not supposed to discuss pricing here.

Sounds like a great product and a real competitor to geothermal.

I checked the website but couldn't find anyone in my area actually using one (Manitoba Canada) same climate as Grand Forks ND.

If it works in my climate (-30 to -40c for weeks at a time) I will consider one.

Anyone out there in my kind of climate using one?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast