Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 51

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bucks County, Penna
    Posts
    181
    Post Likes

    What salary can I expect as an apprentice?

    I filled out an application yesterday and had NO clue what hourly wage to ask for. I figure I need $12 or close to it just to pay my basic bills (rent, electric, car stuff, food...). But I also don't want to be turned down for asking for too much especially since I have NO experience, but if I pass my EPA exam Monday, I'll at least have that under my belt. I live just north east of Philadelphia. Any pointers when I fill out more applications in what to ask for without seeming to be greedy or out in left field or under cutting my abilities?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315
    Post Likes
    First off, they don't care "what you need". But count on getting a little more than minimum wage. Then you get to buy all your tools.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    820
    Post Likes
    my first job hired me at 13hr, but then again im in california, and it was a commercial and refrigeration company. 12 is not bad, after three months you should get another dollar or two. if there is any advice i can give you is to be very neat and organized with paperwork, if you have shiatty paperwork then you will get less work, just wait and see.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Under my tree
    Posts
    5,069
    Post Likes
    Check out the union aprenticeship program. Starts at better than your looking for. http://lu420.org/apprenticeship.asp
    Not much to say, just hanging in my shade tree!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,490
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Check out the union aprenticeship program. Starts at better than your looking for. http://lu420.org/apprenticeship.asp

    Ditto.


    Failing that, $12.00 /hr is about what the open (non-union) shops are hiring guys off the street for. Unless it's a resi shop.....then it's more like $8 to $10.00 /hr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Yo.... Here!, I'm right here..
    Posts
    6,236
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    Ditto.


    Failing that, $12.00 /hr is about what the open (non-union) shops are hiring guys off the street for. Unless it's a resi shop.....then it's more like $8 to $10.00 /hr.

    Yeah I said that "abs is right on thread 1, it's a moot point as this guy probably has no real interest in becoming an apprentice, check his profile .


    Occupation:
    Professional Automotive Freight Relocator Transportation Specialist
    This discussion is a waste of time, and you other two guys are preaching to the choir...sheesh ...............

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1
    Post Likes
    @refer guy where did you go for school in California

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    my first job hired me at 13hr, but then again im in california, and it was a commercial and refrigeration company. 12 is not bad, after three months you should get another dollar or two. if there is any advice i can give you is to be very neat and organized with paperwork, if you have shiatty paperwork then you will get less work, just wait and see.
    Im going to job corp for hvac and wanted to move to california from florida for my first job. How is the living budget if you make 13hr. What kind of rent am i looking at.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Wa.
    Posts
    1,576
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mims95bulls View Post
    Im going to job corp for hvac and wanted to move to california from florida for my first job. How is the living budget if you make 13hr. What kind of rent am i looking at.
    That post was from 8 years ago, If you are moving to California and going t make $13 an hour I hope you like Top Rammen
    UA Proud

    Insert random bible verse here

  10. Likes valdelocc liked this post
  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    2,090
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mims95bulls View Post
    Im going to job corp for hvac and wanted to move to california from florida for my first job. How is the living budget if you make 13hr. What kind of rent am i looking at.
    Job corp is another failed, taxpayer funded federal program, you are wasting your time going there.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,947
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mims95bulls View Post
    Im going to job corp for hvac and wanted to move to california from florida for my first job. How is the living budget if you make 13hr. What kind of rent am i looking at.
    Please don't raise up old threads.

    I agree that 13 is not enough to make a move like that.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    2,090
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Please don't raise up old threads.

    I agree that 13 is not enough to make a move like that.
    The site owners should make a rule forbidding the resurrection of old threads but since there isn't such why do you care?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    13,914
    Post Likes

    Beginning Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    First off, they don't care "what you need". But count on getting a little more than minimum wage. Then you get to buy all your tools.
    YEAH THAT IS ABOUT RIGHT!
    UNLESS YOU ARE UNION.

    THIS TRADE THE PAYBACKS TAKE A WHILE.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech 365