Thread: Furthest room in house too warm. Any upgrades/improvements/changes?

Post Likes

Furthest room in house too warm. Any upgrades/improvements/changes?

Hi there,

I live in Arizona and during the summer the 2nd room in the house has a wall that gets direct sun from the south and from the west. The A/C unit is on the other side of the house and I find that this room is always warm. The rest of the house is kept at 79F, but this room feels much warmer.

I have a ceiling fan in the room that helps, but its still not the best.

Do I have any options to increase A/C airflow into this room, or any other suggestions that I may have not thought of?

The A/C was completely replaced in 2012 with a brand new one from prior owner. I have done nothing to the A/C since ownership.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Need to know the required CFM for that room- What kind of exposures (exterior walls) does that room have as well as windows
    If the unit is low on air would not be surprised to see "to small of duct" issues- If you are needing air would like to know unit size as well as return duct and main supply duct size

Post Likes
    could also be heat gain through the walls/windows.

any exterior shading on the exposed walls?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Do a heat-gain on that room so you know the required Btu.hr, from that U can determine the CF?M required; I'd divide the Btu/hr by 26 to get the CFM high enough.

Let's say it requires 4,500-Btu/hr / 26 (26 is around 450-CFM per ton) is 173-CFM; divided by 2 is 87-CFM each of the 2 diffusers with a direct in room Return air for that amount of CFM with extra large Return Air filter areas to conform with ACCA Manual D requirements.

Do that room with this load-calc

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in