Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC Dryer Vent

PVC Dryer Vent

I was helping on an install the other day ( normaly run service truck). I was asked by my boss to install the dryer vent. He told me to use PVC for the vent. I informed him that PVC is not sutiable for dryer vent according to the International Mechanical Code or the Kentucky residential code. I was told by my boss that they have been using PVC for a few years and have had no problems. I did do the install as I was ordered to do. However this has bothered me ever since. Does any one know if PVC can be used for a dryer vent ?

Around here the inspectors allow it only if it is buried in a concrete slab.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Check with your local AHJ. (building inspector, fire marshal, gas inspector, etc.) It only takes one to fail & take you to the cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Around here the inspectors allow it only if it is buried in a concrete slab.
    Same here OK. green pvc (forgot the name) is what i've seen used. Metal connector used to transition to dryer. Smooth no seams i see nothing wrong with it.

I've installed one in new construction exiting out the roof ,because that's the way the homeowner wanted it....checked with local building inspector and he had no problem with it....it's not a lot of heat and moisture difference, than a high efficiency furnace.

Well I see it more and more and in all honesty I think it is a better set up then metal. No screws, way less seems, As far as burning ......... I question weather it would light before the lint is burnt up or smothered.

I have never run it but have had some of the contractors I use to do venting for, have their guys doing it now in pvc. Havnt ask inspectors about it but ........ their not red tagging it.

I was concerned about condensation going out the roof and coming back, but that install was 10 years ago and the homeowner has never had a complaint...my worst call on a dryer vent was somebody that ran b-vent out their roof with 2 90's in it....it plugged and it was a bear to get a fish tape down and pull a rag through.

Quote Originally Posted by tinmantu View Post
    I was concerned about condensation going out the roof and coming back, but that install was 10 years ago and the homeowner has never had a complaint...my worst call on a dryer vent was somebody that ran b-vent out their roof with 2 90's in it....it plugged and it was a bear to get a fish tape down and pull a rag through.
    Never seen b-vent used. 2 90's that cut the lenght down to 15' assuming they used a dryer box and not a 90 at the inlet. What kind of cap did they use?
    Going to the expense of b-vent you would think they would be reading more on the subject. Never seen a b-vent cap u.l. listed for dryer vents, but i havn't seen it all apparently

I've heard the claim that for whatever reason, lint tends to stick to PVC more than rigid metal vents making it more of a fire hazard but I can't vouch for whether or not that's true.

It was a farm house out in the country...looked like a "do it to yourself" job...it was all metalvent with the birds nest collector cap...never seen anything like it myself and hope I never do again. Yes there was a third elbow coming out the wall along with two in the attic....people weren't home and left the door unlocked for me to just fix it...was baffled for a few minutes where it even terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by dk21 View Post
    I've heard the claim that for whatever reason, lint tends to stick to PVC more than rigid metal vents making it more of a fire hazard but I can't vouch for whether or not that's true.
    Fabric softener and dryer sheets are the culprit in clogged vents that are properly installled imo.(They leave sticky residue)
    I.M.C. lists dryer vents as moisture and combustion product removal, lint doesn't enter the picture.
    Newer dryers are in my limited expertise worse at letting lint bypass the filter for some unknown reason to me.
    Last edited by captube; 01-05-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: sticky stuff

panama city beach (aka lower alabama or LA) FL
    ive thought of using pvc for my drier vent but i would think that warm air traveling through the pipe would create alot of static electricity that would collect lint or worse have a potential to discharge the build up static electricity to the drier throught the connector between the pvc and the drier

In a tactful manner show your boss the code, If you knowingly install something outside the code and hide it from the inspector, you will also be liable in the event of a failure. You can use SCH 40 pvc for slab installation on down flow cook tops but not dryers. The only "out" would be if the manufacterer of the dryer approves of pvc, as the code also says to refer to the installation instruction of the dryer man.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast