Thread: Condenser location

Post Likes

Condenser location

So I had my AC unit moved around the corner of my house, to make room for a new deck. The recently installed unit is in the picture... looks backwards to me! The contractor says that it was the only way to do it, because of the angle at which the valves had originally been installed. Does that make sense? I am concerned that the air circulation is being limited by the unit's proximity to the wall, not to mention that the "ugly" part of the unit is facing out (it used to be against the wall, in the old location). I don't want to have a battle with the installer if he is right, so would appreciate any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    It looks so close to the wall that it could be restricting airflow into the condenser coils on that side.
    I also don't see any reason why he couldn't have placed the rotation of the unit facing differently...

Post Likes
    He is not within the manufactures minimum distance requirement from an obstruction like a wall. They normally require a minimum of 12". I like 3' myself to allow for free air movement all around and for easy access to the unit for repair. The bush is to close also.

That compressor will have a short life for sure. All he had to do was to rotate the unit 90 degrees counter clockwise and he would have been about 2 1/2' away from the wall. Any code offical would flag that in a heart beat. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    I too, should have mentioned he was in violation of the code.
    I'd request that he come back & do it to code.
    Anyway, that will have to be done...

Moving a condenser, he should have pulled a permit so it would be inspected.
    If he didn't know he was violating the code he shouldn't be doing that work.

I always pulled permits when I moved or changed out a condenser.

Post Likes
    Did he put the disconnect there too? If so it looks really low to the ground.

Post Likes
    I would have put it on a pad too. Looks like its just sitting on the ground.

Post Likes
    The manufacturer instructions say 6in minimum.

Like others,I would have rotated it 90 degrees CCW and put it much like 18 to 24 in away from the house and on a pad with snow legs.

And for a service tech.....the pretty side is out....
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    That is very poor.

Post Likes
    That's close!! forget the other side i guess

Post Likes
    What's the code for distance to the gas meter/regulator? Couldn't help it they're in the same photo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R Mannino View Post
    What's the code for distance to the gas meter/regulator? Couldn't help it they're in the same photo.
    Thank you all for the comments! Very helpful. I did not want to raise a stink without a reason... I think that I can go ahead now ;-)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    The manufacturer instructions say 6in minimum.

Like others,I would have rotated it 90 degrees CCW and put it much like 18 to 24 in away from the house and on a pad with snow legs.

And for a service tech.....the pretty side is out....

Funny bes never seen a manufacture's minimum as close as 6". Most I've seen say 12" and I remember in the past some Goodman condensers required 10".

Not saying there is no manufacture requiring only 6" but I've never seen that before.

Now the IMC requires that you go as a minimum by the manufacture's recommendations.

So if they say 12" minimum and you have only 11" then you are in violation of the International Mechanical Code (IMC). Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Funny bes never seen a manufacture's minimum as close as 6". Most I've seen say 12" and I remember in the past some Goodman condensers required 10".

Not saying there is no manufacture requiring only 6" but I've never seen that before.

Now the IMC requires that you go as a minimum by the manufacture's recommendations.

So if they say 12" minimum and you have only 11" then you are in violation of the International Mechanical Code (IMC). Thank you very much

I install Carrier/Bryant- in the installation instructions 1 side can be 6 in from a wall.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I install Carrier/Bryant- in the installation instructions 1 side can be 6 in from a wall.
    I always went by the 12" rule; I would never install one side of a condenser 6" from a wall unless there was no way to install it a foot from the wall; seems too close for me to accept it & feel comfortable.

Post Likes
    Vicko, if the "installer" (being kind now) left the installation manual with you then it should give you the minimum distance.

If it's not a Bryant or a Carrier then I guarantee you it will be at least a 10 but much more likely a 12" clearance requirement Thank you very much

Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Mr Hack blew it. But only the condenser fan should be blowing it ... and from about 20" from EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't have been able to find my check book after I saw that.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Mr Hack blew it. But only the condenser fan should be blowing it ... and from about 20" from EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't have been able to find my check book after I saw that.
    Yeah agreed. Those "minimums" are a joke. They are based on the minimum distance you can have the coil away from an obstruction and still get the guaranteed efficiency and performance from the unit based on a "clean" coil.

I discussed this with York on an air cooled chiller after a 200 ton chiller's compressor serving the side of the inverted coil facing the screen wall with their minimum distance of 4 feet failed every 2 to 3 years while the one facing the open area never failed and had lower head pressure.

The coil next to the wall was always clogged up. they should give a recommended distance in addition to a minimum distance IMHO. A Carrier engineer told be the same. They base it on a clean coil. No one wants to say they have to have a lot more clearance than the next guy.

The problem is the coil won't stay clean long only 12" away from a wall. Dirt, lint, debris, etc. will clog the coil up in no time and you will start going down hill with higher coil pressures and have a short life with your compressor. I like to stay at least 2' away and prefer 3'. The 6" by Carrier and Bryant is a total joke IMHO.
    Last edited by glennac; 06-20-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Sen. Barry Goldwater

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in