Thread: FHP Problem

Post Likes

Unhappy FHP Problem

Florida HP M# EM060-4HZ R-22 HGB BIFLOW TXV SCROOL 3 PH
    WCOOLED ECONO COIL unit used for cool only

Gentlemen,
    Two weeks ago one of our guys started up this unit. I was told it was cooling this server room and holding twmp at 68F.
    Monday unit was down according to our on call tech who found unit off on high head due to dirty strainer. He cleaned it, reset unit and left job.
    Wendsday we get call, no cooling,same tech gose there. Server room is
    82F and unit is on line? No diffrence in room load. He calls shop and says unit is 150 psi x 40 psi? Cond water 73F inlet.
    They tell him to add gas to system???? Head goes up to 200 psi, but suction stays at 52psi with 78F return air from room. 73F cond inlet.
    They send me to job to assist him. I dont know how much gas he put in unit.
    So, I recover, evacuate and weigh in 4.4 lbs R-22 as per name plate. I get 145 x 43 suc. Since I have no water reg valve I throttle the leaving hand valve till I get 225 head pressure. My suction goes up to 52 psi only????? Cond out 95F and inlet 73F. Hot gas is passing slightly to try to maintain suction. Still my RA is 78F and supply is 72F. ONLY 6 to 7 degree drop on coil.
    Filter brand new, duct return AND SUPPLY CLEAR, NO SIGN OF ICING ON COIL.

No sign of problem with reversing valve, econo coil off. Can't get supply down.

Any ideas?????????????????????????
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    don't those have spring loaded reliefs on the condensers might of blew off strainer got blocked up that quick?..if your not on a dedicated tower the house might of did a tower cleaning pump shutdown or even the house pumps strainers.22F on the condenser water split.condensers could be fouled and might of blew off some gas.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    you need to take a superheat reading and see if your metering device is feeding enough refrigerant to the evaporator.

Post Likes

water cooled unit in a computer room= all kinds of problems!

but your particular problem does seem like a metering device problem

in computer rooms here are a few problems which will occur while using water cooled systems:

flooded computer room (water pipes bursting)

no water circulation when building pumps shut down

water strainers constantly getting fouled

condenser coil gets fouled quickly

you need to raise your liability insurance coverage

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    water cooled unit in a computer room= all kinds of problems!

but your particular problem does seem like a metering device problem

in computer rooms here are a few problems which will occur while using water cooled systems:

flooded computer room (water pipes bursting)

no water circulation when building pumps shut down

water strainers constantly getting fouled

condenser coil gets fouled quickly

you need to raise your liability insurance coverage

Wow, do you mean the 400+ units my company installed last year in computer rooms are bad??? Man those engineers must really be dumb. And all those telecom company engineers that oked them must be just as stupid.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeB View Post
    Wow, do you mean the 400+ units my company installed last year in computer rooms are bad??? Man those engineers must really be dumb. And all those telecom company engineers that oked them must be just as stupid.
    sounds smarta$$ish to me! wow its true! imagine that!

it may be ok if you have a closed loop water to air to water type system but

from your post it does not sound like thats how your engineer experts designed them

i have been on call on weekends when water tower service

and things i already listed interupts your 400+ water cooled computer room units

water cooled computer room systems ARE the worst

of course this is only my humble opinion!

i bet your engineer experts dont do the service calls, my point is maybe they should before becoming engineers

Last edited by Airmechanical; 01-06-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Post Likes

Smile

Max, no blow off and HP control is good if I shut off cond water supply.

My office spoke to FHP and the tech there told us unit needs more gas, since it has HGB!!!! Only problem they couldn't tell us how much more to add. The unit name plate says 4.4 lbs, but thats only for units without HGB. Figure that one out???? They don't put the proper charge.
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    that unit has a TXV and the HGB is adding to a charge...to cheap to make a different tag for units with it.isn't there hots gas on one side of a HGB regulator and suction gas on the other when it is closed?????never saw a self contained charge be + or - in relation to having HGB
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    sounds smarta$$ish to me! wow its true! imagine that!

it may be ok if you have a closed loop water to air to water type system but

from your post it does not sound like thats how your engineer experts designed them

i have been on call on weekends when water tower service

and things i already listed interupts your 400+ water cooled computer room units

water cooled computer room systems ARE the worst

of course this is only my humble opinion!

i bet your engineer experts dont do the service calls, my point is maybe they should before becoming engineers

I just think it's pretty narrow minded to make a broad statement like that. We have a vast number of buildings we take care of that have water source heatpumps in computer rooms and every other space they have. Just by numbers we get more service calls from dx systems overall. I wasn't specific as to what type of loop we have in my post at all. We have all types of loops, geothermal with glycol, open geothermal, closed water to water to air, and every variation in between. Other than open geothermal, they all are very managable and work very efficiently.

Post Likes

I just think it's pretty narrow minded to make a broad statement like that.. I wasn't specific as to what type of loop we have in my post at all.they all are very managable and work very efficiently.
    as stated imo water cooled systems in a computer room= all kind of extra problems

whatever loop you are using its dirty, how often do you need to clean air cooled condenser coils?

any type of system can be managable and efficient

i think its pretty narrow minded to make a statement about someone being pretty narrowminded!

if a tech worked on both aircooled and watercooled systems he would notice that

there are extra things that can and will fail on a water cooled system!

oh ya, it must be correct, the engineers approoved it

Post Likes

What you dont have high rise buildings?

Most of the places we have water cooled units are multi-floored buildings. Were it is so much easier to have a water loop running around each level and have the condensers inside the units. It wouldn't be practical to have several hundred air cooled condensers anywhere in or on the building.

Do you do any commercial work at all? You can't tell me it's so different down there that they don't use them in the same type installations. Stop thinking residential, there are a world of other things out there, that work.

Post Likes
    I agree, check your superheat, its the only way to determine if the metering device is feeding enough into coil
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes

1.Most of the places we have water cooled units are multi-floored buildings. Were it is so much easier to have a water loop running around each level and have the condensers inside the units. It wouldn't be practical to have several hundred air cooled condensers anywhere in or on the building.

2.Do you do any commercial work at all?

3,You can't tell me it's so different down there that they don't use them in the same type installations.

4. Stop thinking residential, there are a world of other things out there, that work.
    1.you must be the water cooled expert!

2.yes i do commercial work, your not the only one!

3.yes big buildings with computer rooms are better suited for water cooled!

4.are you jealous i do mostly residential, cause i dont need to lug my stuff around for miles

5.you are very confrontational, you will fit right in on this website

Post Likes
    Thats a 5 ton unit 4.4 pounds of gas no way

Post Likes
    Looks like the discussion got a little off track. Does this unit have hot gas bypass, from one of the posts it sounded like it did. If so, what is it set at? It could simply be a bad valve or an incorrect stetting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in