Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hooking gauges to heat pump

when hooking your gauges to a heat pump in the heat mode, is it safer to put the highside on the lowside and the lowside on the highside because the pressures will be reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac-tech05 View Post
    when hooking your gauges to a heat pump in the heat mode, is it safer to put the highside on the lowside and the lowside on the highside because the pressures will be reversed?
    What?
    Bob O. 84,Pa.

Are you a Tech?I would think most techs would know how to hook his gauges on a heat pump reguardless which mode the reversing valve is in.I am not trying to be mean at all just a simple question.

oh boy
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

In heating mode, both the liquid and vapor line are high pressure lines.

Start studing the manuals.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

oh don't you remember when you was trying to learn this trade, oh i forgot you was born with refrigeration gages coming out of your ass. i am a young kid trying to learn the trade, i dont't have all the answer and as far as i am concerned a stupid question is one that was never asked. i live up north and i don't get a chance to work on alot of heat pumps, i just aksed a simple question that i was very certain of and i guess you aren't either cause if you knew you would have just answered it. i thought this site was to help out when you was stuck not to put you down. this site suck anyhow because there is *******s like you on it.

Lighten up, francis. We get a lot of homeowners in here posing as techs.

Probably be a good idea for you to edit that last post.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

maybe you should read the rules and don't make fun of people who don't know all the answer like you do

Knowing the refrigeration cycle is the first step to understanding what's going on in the lineset. When in the heating mode and the 4-way valve shifts, the high pressure gas from the compressor is redirected to the "condenser" which in the heating mode is the INDOOR coil. As the refrigerantn passes through that coil, rejecting heat to the air passing through it (hence heat to the home) the high temperature/high pressure gas condenses into a high pressure liquid, just like it does at the outdoor unit on a standard straight AC condenser. So how do you know the actual pressures? All HP manufacturers install a second access port for at least the suction line that is connected to the suction line between the 4-way valve and the compressor. Some manufacturers also provide a similar access to the liquid line but in reality, that's a duplicate because you'll always be reading the high pressure liquid at either the normal service port or the auxilliary HP liquid port.

So the bottom line is, you connect the high pressure line/gauge to the high pressure service port and the low pressure line/gauge to the auxilliary suction port on the unit. That port might also be labelled 'LO' for low pressure.

Nobody intended to insult you but we do get a whole lot of do-it-yourselfers on this website and sometimes we all get a little fed up with those who think they know it all and want to demean our profession by thinking they can do it after a simple question. If you're a newbie to the industry, welcome. We need lots more of you and congratulations for asking about what you don't know. Better to ask the be armed with good info than to take a chance that you'll screw something up through a lack of knowledge. And as soon as you meet the qualifications, get "pro" status on the site. Then you can go to the technical side and you'll get a lot more respect because HO's can't go there.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Do you have a schrader off of the line between Accum and Comp?
    I too had limited "hands-on" w/a HP and figured it out.
    Like JR said "Lighten up".
    These guy's work on these things day in and day out.
    To them it seems like a HO/DIY question.
    Hope you figure it out.
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

maybe you should read the rules and don't make fun of people who don't know all the answer like you do
    Where did I make fun of you?

Feel free to show that to me.

I'm waiting with bated breath.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

oh don't you remember when you was trying to learn this trade, oh i forgot you was born with refrigeration gages coming out of your ass.
    how handy, albeit strange, that would be to be able to internally determine system pressures with no more than a few hoses coming out of our butthole.

we would have to dress 'to the right' or 'to the left' regarding our 'third hose', which we of course would need when we needed to 'give the systems a little juice'. sometimes, we'd have a call we'd hoped was going to be a quickie, just whip out our third hose for a minute and go. just to realize we'd have to leave 'ol yeller' tucked away for now, don't want 'him' touching anything til 'it' gets a serious cleaning.

i've just always known where i wanted my hoses going, since i was born with them coming out of my ass. we had an uncle, not unlike hvac-tech, that was confused as to where it was exactly that his hose was supposed to go. we don't talk to him anymore.

I remember my early days.
    Too bad forums like this weren't around.

But my answer is still about the same.

Read the books.
    Ask questions about the things you don't unserstand.

Apply for pro membership, then when you get it, you can ask questions of this type in the pro forum where we are allowed to give detailed step by step answers.

And you need a thicker skin then you got.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast