+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black dust/particles in duct work...

Post Likes

Confused Black dust/particles in duct work...

Heat pump system with strips, no gas. The black particles are in both plenums. White insulation. Silver flex. House is 10 years old. The particles are coming out of the air vents and coating the ceilings and walls. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    Sounds like the linner is breaking down! Have it coated with something like Foster 40-20

Post Likes
    Are you sure the particles are coming out of the air vents? A fairly common mistake people make is to think the build-up of dirt on the ceiling next to a supply register is from the HVAC system. In actual fact that dirt is from the room. It builds-up there because of the effects of airflow.

The dirt you see on the walls and ceiling could very well be coming from a source inside the room. For example, candle burning can cause this phenomenon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Are you sure the particles are coming out of the air vents? A fairly common mistake people make is to think the build-up of dirt on the ceiling next to a supply register is from the HVAC system. In actual fact that dirt is from the room. It builds-up there because of the effects of airflow.

The dirt you see on the walls and ceiling could very well be coming from a source inside the room. For example, candle burning can cause this phenomenon.
    It can also come from the attic. If the installer didn't seal around the boot when it was cut into the sheetrock it can draw dirt and dust from the attic when the fan is running .

Post Likes
    Sure, it could come from the attic. As Mark B. keeps emphasizing proper sealing of the HVAC system is one of the most important things one can do for indoor air quality. The dust could also come from the HVAC system itself.

But it has been my experience that when someone sees black dust on walls and ceilings it usually does not come from either. It usually comes from inside the room. Here is a way to prove it to yourself. All you need is a "windmill" type anemometer and a source of steady air flow. I use a small air purifier when I demonstrate this. Put the anemometer next to, but not in, the airstream. You will see that the "windmill" actually moves counter-clockwise. In other words the air is actually moving TOWARD the source of the airstream. Now move it into the airflow. The "windmill" will reverse direction and move clockwise. This effect sucks airborne dust in the room to the ceiling right next to the supply air duct.

Post Likes
    This may sound really out there, but I had a customer who had a similair problem. I sealed everything in the duct system, even taped filter door shut and I went back and checked in two weeks. Same black stuff. Turned out to be from candles. She would let the wicks get long and they smoked and the returns would pick up the smoke and blow it out the the vents. The filter didn't stop the black particals. Might be something to check.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev-Bo View Post
    This may sound really out there, but I had a customer who had a similair problem. I sealed everything in the duct system, even taped filter door shut and I went back and checked in two weeks. Same black stuff. Turned out to be from candles. She would let the wicks get long and they smoked and the returns would pick up the smoke and blow it out the the vents. The filter didn't stop the black particals. Might be something to check.
    I had a homeowner who moved into her new house and started getting black stuff all over the place .she threatened the builder and wanted the ducts cleaned. I went in to investigate and noticed it on the return grills,caked inside the filter, and looked around to find lots of candles. I asked if she likes candles and was like I love them and use them every night. I told here this was the black soot problem and she kind of got red faced. Once you see it the first time it is very obevious to trouble shoot

Post Likes

thanks

I have an appt with the customer tomorrow, so we will see about the candle situation. But on the sealing point we did a duct cleaning and sealed all the boots to the ceilings to prevent infiltration from the attic. The duct work was zipped and taped and doubled checked so I don't believe it is coming from the attic. We took a torch to the white insulation to see if the heat strips was burning it into that black dust but the insulation didn't do anything just sat there, good stuff. Now question on the candle residue is it soot, like out of the fireplace?

Post Likes
    The word "soot" is like the word "dust." It can mean lots of things.

But generally both soot from a candle and soot from the fireplace are the same in that they are both carbon based and dark in color.

Good luck with your customer.

Post Likes
    I think breathe-easy hit the nail on the head. I am constantly called out to sites with "bad air" because the diffussers are black (diesel repair shops). They don't believe me when I tell them it ain't from the duct work. Also, the velocity of the air moving through the diffusser creates a static charge that will attract and hold airborne particulate generated in the space.

Post Likes

Found it.

We found a hole in one of the return air boxes and I found that by the white insulation turning black. So in closing it was attic air. Its hard to see everything but I am going to talk to the duct cleaning crew. Thanks for all the input.

Post Likes
    An RSES Journal some time ago said that the black soot is from candles. If I ever get the time and gumption I may look it up if your interested.

Post Likes

candles

Yes, I agree, candles are one of the worst offenders for giving off black soot. People should never use parrafin wax ony Bees wax candles.

thorton

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=thorton;1725655]Yes, I agree, candles are one of the worst offenders for giving off black soot. People should never use parrafin wax ony Bees wax candles.

That's the first thought I had as well. Years ago we ran diagnostics on a system where h/o reported soot on walls adjacent to supply grills. Took a sample and had it analyzed by a lab - result was parrafin soot. Showed results to customer and complaint was dropped!

Post Likes
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=160316

Check out this thread on black soot
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CAC View Post
    We found a hole in one of the return air boxes and I found that by the white insulation turning black. So in closing it was attic air. Its hard to see everything but I am going to talk to the duct cleaning crew. Thanks for all the input.
    Your white insulation turning black is more then likely caused by particulate (dust) being trapped in the fiberglass. The fiberglass is being turned into an airfilter. If you had attic air causing the dust, it would more then likely not be black, more like brown or grey dust.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dougvhvac;1740718]
    Quote Originally Posted by thorton View Post
    Yes, I agree, candles are one of the worst offenders for giving off black soot. People should never use parrafin wax ony Bees wax candles.

That's the first thought I had as well. Years ago we ran diagnostics on a system where h/o reported soot on walls adjacent to supply grills. Took a sample and had it analyzed by a lab - result was parrafin soot. Showed results to customer and complaint was dropped!
    Been there done that! you should also pay attention to which country made the candles. The USA has strict laws on what you can use in the wax as well as the wicks. Many countries do not. China anyone?

Post Likes

Fiberglass Ducts- Black dust all over. Replace or Reinsulate ducts?

We have fiberglass ducts in our condo in FLorida original from 1986. One room has become full of dust on all the walls leading from the vent. Should we replace or reinsulate?

HVAC tech cannot vacuum the vents as they are fiberglass. Recommendations welcome!

Post Likes
    Please do not revive a 15 yr old thread. It is best to start a fresh new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Healys View Post
    We have fiberglass ducts in our condo in FLorida original from 1986. One room has become full of dust on all the walls leading from the vent. Should we replace or reinsulate?

HVAC tech cannot vacuum the vents as they are fiberglass. Recommendations welcome!
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in