Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HVAC for new house

Hi:
    This is my first time on this site, and I am building a new house 2000 sq.ft. bunglow.
    I am planning on installing radiant heating in the complete house, the basement will have a concrete floor, which does not present a problem, but on the first floor I am planning on installing the piping between the wooden joists that will have 23/32" OSB subfloor on them, and which will have 1000 sq.ft of tile, and 1000 sq.ft. of hardwood. The boilers I have researched are Viessman's Vitodens, and Weil-McLain, but have not decided which one to go with. The A/C I am looking at high velocity by the Unico system or the Space Pak. The Heat Recovery Ventilator I have not done much research on any models, but I would like your input.
    The following are the questions I have;
    Does having the piping installed below the subfloor have a huge effect on it's capacity to heat the space above?
    Have there been many problems using a high velocity A/C systems, and which one of the above is preferred?
    I plan on spraying the attice with Icynene insulation, have you heard anything about it?
    Any thoughts on a HRV system?
    Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    ryanpatr

You should be okay with the under floor radiant, I have had no problems with Unico HiV, if you are in the states try Lifebreath HRV, make sure your HVAC company KNOWS how to install these systems and check to see if he is certified to install them. Nothing can ruin a nice new home more than a baddly installed HVAC system.
    GO GREEN HEAT

I would look into a tankless on demand hot water heater. Takagi makes a good one.
    I have installed several radiant under floor systems that are working beautifully. I always use on demand water heaters. No storage tanks to mess with. can be used for low or high pressure. Definitely use therma-pex piping and prodex insualtion.

I would recommend the Space Pak for the high velocity system.

The Icynene is an excellent choice for the attic.

Lifebreath makes an excellent HRV, so does Fantech.

If you are building new, why go with HV? For less money you can put in a nice variable speed conventional air handler and get a lot more efficiency.

ryanpatr
    Welcome to the forum
    Plenty of experienced pro,s check in now and then and their advice will be priceless to you.
    what part of the planet are u from?
    Your geograpic location does play into the eqation you know.
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Further Update on 2000 Sq. Ft. bunglow:

Thank you for your replies.

Some further information, the house will be built in Prince Edward county in Ontario, Canada, which is a beautiful part of the world.

I have also thought about putting the radiant heating tubes on top of the sub floor and pouring Therma-floor plaster over them, see attached web site.
    http://www.maxxon.ca/product_detail.asp?ID=4

Regarding Baldloonie suggestion of using a high efficiency furnace, yes I will keep that in mind when comparing prices.

Ryanpatr

Take a look at ESPITECHLLC.com and the 3 inch system they have. Much easier to install, and about 30% less cost upfront and all 13 seer or greater.

Some good ideas so far, Takagi is a good product but expensive, a Rinnai commercial unit with a storage tank would work better. I would still use the Unico system better coverage and a lot less noise. Conventional high efficient is good, but takes up a lot of space, stay on the path of radiant and HiV. It depends on what you want good, better or best.
    GO GREEN HEAT

Although we have installed Takagi and Rinnai, do NOT use them for a radiant system. You will get maybe 80% efficiency vs. 92%+ for a modulating condensing boiler like the Viesmann or Triangle tube. Having the pipes below the floor joists isn't a big deal, but make sure it is designed for low temperature so you will maintain the boilers efficiency.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

I'm not suggesting a furnace, I'll never talk someone out of radiant heat or any hydronic heat. I'm asking why not conventional ducted cooling? Less money, a good variable speed air handler will boost the efficiency of the system while giving good dehumidification. The HV air handlers kill efficiency & reduce capacity. They are great for retro in an old house but if you are starting from scratch, I'd sure go the conventional route.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'm not suggesting a furnace, I'll never talk someone out of radiant heat or any hydronic heat. I'm asking why not conventional ducted cooling? Less money, a good variable speed air handler will boost the efficiency of the system while giving good dehumidification. The HV air handlers kill efficiency & reduce capacity. They are great for retro in an old house but if you are starting from scratch, I'd sure go the conventional route.
    Loonie where did you get the idea that HIV will kill the efficiency and reduce capacity, you better do some research my friend.
    GO GREEN HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Although we have installed Takagi and Rinnai, do NOT use them for a radiant system. You will get maybe 80% efficiency vs. 92%+ for a modulating condensing boiler like the Viesmann or Triangle tube. Having the pipes below the floor joists isn't a big deal, but make sure it is designed for low temperature so you will maintain the boilers efficiency.
    Again good system but at a high cost. Collin have you seen the Buderus boilers that Ecco carries.
    GO GREEN HEAT

be sure and listen to a HV system before you install one.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast