Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing Electonic cells

Post Likes
    I pull the cells, use Grease Lightning, let it sit. Then rinse with a hose. Do agian if it need it. Let the cells sun dry. Works great. Grease Lightning cuts grease very well.

Dishwasher works well also, dishwaser soap is designed to cut grease. A dishwaser has more spry force then just dumping in hot detergant.
    Anyone who compares filter cells to a BBQ grill is pretty inaccurate!
    If you let your cells get as dirty as your barbeque grill you have more of a problem than just cleaning the cells, you have a neglect issue.

Post Likes
    First of all, lighten up. I did not say I didn't believe you. I just wondered if you could provide something scientific and not what you thought you might have read. If you chose not to use the dishwasher, that is your choice. The OP ask about cleaning the EAC cells. The manufacturer states that the dishwasher can be used, if desired. No where does the manufacturer state that you shouldn't use the dishwasher because thorton thinks it might result in an outbreak of legionnairs disease. For your information, the bacteria that causes the disease is found in stagnent water. The bacteria enters the body through inhalation. Don't stick your head in the dishwasher and inhale the vapor. Water flowing through a dishwasher isn't stagnent. Running the dishwasher empty after removing the cells would flush the system.

Post Likes
    My Trane users guide recommends the dishwasher. Dishwashers when used under normal mode dissenfect. So i don't think there is any issue about any disease.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    First of all, lighten up. I did not say I didn't believe you. I just wondered if you could provide something scientific and not what you thought you might have read. If you chose not to use the dishwasher, that is your choice. The OP ask about cleaning the EAC cells. The manufacturer states that the dishwasher can be used, if desired. No where does the manufacturer state that you shouldn't use the dishwasher because thorton thinks it might result in an outbreak of legionnairs disease. For your information, the bacteria that causes the disease is found in stagnent water. The bacteria enters the body through inhalation. Don't stick your head in the dishwasher and inhale the vapor. Water flowing through a dishwasher isn't stagnent. Running the dishwasher empty after removing the cells would flush the system.
    Well, first of all, you ask me to clarify, and then in the next sentence you tried to answer the question, even before I could answer, myself. Nevetheless, the manufacturer's of EAC are going to tell consumers what they want to hear, and that's putting EAC cells in a dishwasher is a good way to clean them. I believe it was an alert or warning by the Canadian government that initiated this warning or alert, and that was years and years ago. As far as your stagnent water theory, that is one of the reasons not to wash EAC cells or anything else related to HVAC in a consumer dishwasher. "My" dishwasher is a Mele, and if I don't run it for a couple of days the water that is left in the drain system stinks and gets stagnent and that's from just washing dishes and not EAC cells. Common sense tells me stagnent water is a breeding ground for bacteria that is associated with Legionair's Disease from washing EAC cells. So, if you and Kevinmac do wash EAC cells in your own dishwashers, please don't stick your own heads in your dishwasher and inhale the vapour. Better to be safe then sorry.

thorton

Post Likes
    thorton, thank you.

Post Likes
    Now for those who understand that despite the man's recommendations to wash in the dishwasher, which is tantamount to spitting into the wind, we all know you've got to use powerful chemicals and a good soaking at the least to properly clean the cell. So how do you do that when it's 20-degrees outdoors, there's no garden hose to use and if you dump the tub in the wrong place and the water freezes, you could get sued by the person who slips on it?

We've installed the Dynamic Air Cleaner for years. Even have a couple of their demonstrator machines where cigarette smoke is put into a plastic box. They're pretty impressive when you see them in action. The nicest parts? The fit in a 1" filter rack, when it's time to clean the cell, you take out the entire section, which is comprised of the pre/post filters (fiberglass) and the carbon 'cell' and throw it all away. Vacuum off the bone chaser frame, put in a new media element and for all intents and purposes, you've got a brand new EAC every time. And if you don't think they work, you should see the list of clients we have who have kids with asthma who beseige us regularly for new media 'cause the kids can't live without 'em. Every Dr. we have for a client buys one without hesitation. And families with kids in school report consistently that cold and flu brought home from shool via the rug-rats don't go through the whole family like they did before they had the EAC. Just my words of experience and I've sold them all. Honeywell, Aprilaire, Trane. All suffered from the same problem. How to properly clean them cost effectively.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Now for those who understand that despite the man's recommendations to wash in the dishwasher, which is tantamount to spitting into the wind, we all know you've got to use powerful chemicals and a good soaking at the least to properly clean the cell. So how do you do that when it's 20-degrees outdoors, there's no garden hose to use and if you dump the tub in the wrong place and the water freezes, you could get sued by the person who slips on it?

We've installed the Dynamic Air Cleaner for years. Even have a couple of their demonstrator machines where cigarette smoke is put into a plastic box. They're pretty impressive when you see them in action. The nicest parts? The fit in a 1" filter rack, when it's time to clean the cell, you take out the entire section, which is comprised of the pre/post filters (fiberglass) and the carbon 'cell' and throw it all away. Vacuum off the bone chaser frame, put in a new media element and for all intents and purposes, you've got a brand new EAC every time. And if you don't think they work, you should see the list of clients we have who have kids with asthma who beseige us regularly for new media 'cause the kids can't live without 'em. Every Dr. we have for a client buys one without hesitation. And families with kids in school report consistently that cold and flu brought home from shool via the rug-rats don't go through the whole family like they did before they had the EAC. Just my words of experience and I've sold them all. Honeywell, Aprilaire, Trane. All suffered from the same problem. How to properly clean them cost effectively.
    Good point, skippedover! Sounds like your a real believer in EAC's. Here is what I use for air cleaning and odor removal! http://www.air-purifiers-cleaners.co...r-purifier.htm

It works really great. It cleans the air in 3500 sq fit home. I'm not sure if it would work as well as what you are installing or not. But I'm happy with mine.

thorton

Post Likes
    get a bottle of fantastic and spray them down realy good let sit for a few minutes and hose them off

after cleaning no mater what method take a tissue and wipe the piano wires off real carefuly. The resado with block or break down the iozaion field as the book will explain also

should be done at least bymonthly or they arent even a good filter imo

Post Likes

Coil cleaner

I use coil cleaner also and this works very good. Rinse good. I've also been told that Simple green works but have never tried it.

Post Likes
    i use that scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner it does a good job most that still have them put in the dishwasher i still like the dynamic more !!

Post Likes

Hmm Soaking in DW detergent not enough?

Ok wait. I’ve had Honywell EAC since 2002. I clean it every 30 days. I used to clean them in the DW and the first few cleanings turned the white DW racks grey from the aluminum but after that I kept on using it.

In 2006 I got a new DW and switched to hand cleaning the coils in my double utility sink. I soak them in hot water, DW detergent and STPP, then pull them up and down so that the water moves through them, let them soak again, pull them up and down again, change the water let them soak to rinse. In the summer I then hose them down outside for a final rinse. In winter I can’t do the outside hose down. After washing and rinsing I let them sit to dry overnight before returning them to the unit so that the blower motor(vs blower in on position during the winter) will not pull any moisture across it.

So is using DW detergent enough—should I be using this simple green stuff? If so where do you get? What about wheel cleaner would that be better?
    Coil cleaner..I bet a homeowner cannot get this stuff can we?

Is the car wash better than soaking in DW detergent? I guess I take them to the drive through stand there and wave the wand over them instead of the car..is that all there is to using the car wash? Will the force from the water bend or damage the coil or wires?

Post Likes
    It doesn't really matter how you clean them as long as they are clean and damage free. Some ways of cleaning them are quicker than others. Since you are not paying someone to clean them your way is fine.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    It doesn't really matter how you clean them as long as they are clean and damage free. Some ways of cleaning them are quicker than others. Since you are not paying someone to clean them your way is fine.
    Thanks but my way takes several hours of soaking and rinsing ,although I am not standing there waiting, so I am open to quicker ways and any manual way that may be more effective

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in