smell of candle wax in fireplace

recently there is a strong smell of what smells like candle wax. it seems to be coming from the heatalator vent. the fireplace is 25 years old built around a steel heatalator. the draft is good and the chimney is clean. we use the fireplace all winter normally and have never smelled that smell before.

Coming into the house? What vent? Is this a wood fireplace?

it is a wood burning fireplace. heatalators are steel fireplaces surrounded with masonary which are connected to a chimney. heat from the fire heats the steel which is fitted with two vents on either side of the fireplace. one at floor level, the intake, and one near the top of the fireplace. cold air enters at the bottom and exits, heated, at the upper side of the unit. the oder seems to be coming from the upper vents. if i didnt know better i would have said someone dropped a candle into the heatalator. that isnt possible as there is a grate on the vent which would prevent this.

bill

Cool

You need to get a qualified chimney inspector in there with a fiber optic scope. Masons leave all sorts of stuff buried in the walls. I may take years to manifest itself. Go here to find an inspector: www.f-i-r-e-service.com

FYI, Heatilator is a brand. What you have is a steel form fireplace. Now, it may be a Heatilator Mark C or it could be a Majestic Heatform or something else.

HTh,
    Hearthman

As hearthman said, Heatilator is a brand that also makes gas fireplaces, which is why I had all the questions. What you have is often called a "heatform" unit.

sorry about calling a heatform a heatalator. (like calling a tissue a Kleenex). I have had the chimney inspected and cleaned. whatever it is it is not in the chimney. the smell was not there last month nor for the preceeding 20 years. i think the idea of inspecting the heatform with a fiber optic scope is worth pursuing. most of the area surrounding the heatform can be seen without a scope but some can not. there are insulation bats against some of the hot steel. what about dust, mouse droppings or the like giving off the smell?

bill

Insulation can give off a smell when heated, as well as just about anything else.

We serviced a fireplace, with the same complaint. We fond that the kids put crayons in the fireplace.

HiFlame

Thanks. I found the same thing. The crayons were put down the heat ducts! A bit of a mess but I got them out.

Bill