Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hot Water - Slow Flow/Pressure

I get my hot water direct from an oil burning furnace. I also have well water, which up until 2 years ago had no softening system. The house is almost 14 years old - I moved in 2 years ago.

I have no problems with the pressure/flow of my cold water. I have no problem with my Hot Water temperature - just the flow.

My gut is telling me that I have calcium build up and to replace the coil in the furnace - rather than installing an expensive inline water heating system.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Actually it is boiler, not a furnace.

It sounds like you have a tankless coil in your boiler which makes you DHW (Domestic Hot Water). You could replace your tankless coil but you may still have the flow problem, tankless are not known for high flow rates.

Your best bet would be to install an indirect water heater. If the boiler is sized right it will make all the hot water you could ever use.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Cheap way, is to have the coil cooked out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The plan is to be in the house 3 or 4 more years - I am looking for the most affordable way to solve the problem. My thouught is that I won't make my money back on an indirect water heater.

Low flow faucets and shower heads.

Quote Originally Posted by bk1977 View Post
    The plan is to be in the house 3 or 4 more years - I am looking for the most affordable way to solve the problem. My thouught is that I won't make my money back on an indirect water heater.
    Might help you to get your asking price for the house though.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for all the advice - I have a lot to decide.

Not sure I understand your system, but if you can find a way to cut off the supply to your hot water lines and backflush them, that may help. I have ordinary hot water heater tanks. I can backflush by (1) cut off cold water inlet valve at hot water heater, (2) open drain at bottom of water heater, (3) press a rag against strainer of any faucet, or unscrew strainer and clog it up somehow, (4) turn on both hot and cold water at the faucet. This forces cold water backwards through the hot water lines, and is surprisingly effective at unclogging buildup that usually occurs at the valves and various connections.

I like that idea Fat Bob. Does anyone out there know how this would be done with a Oil Boiler?

Question

Does anyone think this technique will work:

This procedure is outlined in the following steps.

Remove the aerators from the ends of the indoor faucets and run all of the faucets wide-open and simultaneously for 3 to 5 minutes.

Flush the toilets two or three times each while the faucets are running. Running all the water faucets and toilets simultaneously generates a large flow of water through the pipes and will hopefully dislodge any build-up of organic material that is causing the taste and odor problem. Removing the aerators before flushing the plumbing will prevent anything dislodged from accumulating on the screens.

After 3 to 5 minutes of flushing, turn off the water faucets, clean the aerators, and reinstall the aerators on the ends of the faucets.

Source: Los Angeles Department of Water and Power web site

No it won't help in your situation. Like beenthere said, have the coil "cooked" by a service company, it may help, it may not either.

Thats for organis build up. Thats not what you have.
    Back flushing as someone else suppested won't help either, and could do more harm then good, by completely clogging the coil. Until its cooked out, or replaced.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for everyones help. I have a new coil on order. I couldn't justify the cost vs. savings of putting in a seperate water heater. Hopefully the coil works and it is not a pipeing issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast