Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purple primer

purple primer

Here awhile back ago I installed a 90%+ furnace. My question is I got a little of purple primer on lineluom floor and I can't find nothing to get it off. Oatey is the brand and oatey told me to use a certain cleaner to try to take it off but said it may not get it all out of floor. Tried several times to call homeowner since they were kind of complaining about it but she is convinced nothing is gonna get it out and refused for me to even try to get it out. Has anyone experienced this problem before? If anyone knows on what to get this stuff out please advise me. Drop clothes were laid down but somehow got shuffled around and of course primer on lineluom from dripping off of pipe. Since that incident went to clear primer.

I learned my lesson the hard way also, spilt a few drops on ceramic tile and grout, couldn't find anything to take it off. I always use clear primer inside houses now. Maybe it will wear off in time but I doubt it.

We have been using clear primer but the inspectors just came out and said that from now on we must use purple so they know we did it. I guess these are the kind of problems we can look forward to now.
    Its a good Life!

Cool Primer

I can't belive the inspector just told you that. I belive purple primer is the national code.

Our inspectors think that Lincoln is its own nation and we have our own codes thought up by a bunch of failed business owners, oh I mean inspectors. LOL
    Its a good Life!

I know purple primer has been the code around here for the reason mentioned, they want to be able to see it. As for cleaning it up, I've found that the clear primer works about as good as anything. But it may also remove a pattern on the tile if there is one........

Be ready to replace the damaged tiles...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

The purple primer code was created because of laziness. If you actually look at pipe cleaned by clear primer one can see the gloss is gone and also any writing is gone proving cleaner was used. Inspectors just wanted it purple because of the drive-by inspections from inside their car out on the street at 35 MPH......
    I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left....

You might want to try ACETONE which is a cleaning solvent.

The can of Acetone I have says:-
    "Acetone is an extremely versatile solvent and has excellent dissolving power for resins, gums, fats, oils, waxes, rubber, nitrocellulose, plastics, paints, lacquers, varnishes, adhesives and rubber cements. Acetone is commonly used in varnish an nail polish removers."

It also says that will attack many plastics. So maybe try it somewhere it wont be seen.

Pretty sure that it is available in paint stores.

Not sure that it will work, I have never used it, but might be worth a try?

Cheers

try goof off it worked for me on a linoleum floor

I just tried a little experiment with Oatey Purple and a left-over piece of vinyl floor tile and couldn't find anything that would get rid of the purple stain. Tried clear primer, OOPS, and Motsenbacher's Lift-Off graffiti cleaner, but once the stain is soaked in, nothing would remove it.

I have used clear primer over the spilled purple primer and it wiped it off. I spilled a little on a dryer once came rite off. Good luck!
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

We also have used Goof Off. It was a couple of years ago but as I remember it worked well.
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast