Cold hardwood floors?

I live in the SF Bay area and I'm noticing that my hardwood floors are *cold*.

I have a vented crawl space with fiberglass insulation underneath. No vapor barrier on the ground.

Is there anything I can do to make things warmer?

Insulate more? Put a vapor barrier on the ground?

Thanks!

Socks! sorry, someone was going to say it, I just wanted to be the 1st.

Insulating the floor wouldn't hurt.. but might not help as much as you'd hope.

The problem likely isn't so much that the floor is cold, it's just the material the floor is made out of that makes your body feel it more than carpet.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Thanks for the quick response!

This is the first time I've had hardwood floors... I'm just not used to it I guess!

Personally, I just wear a pair of slippers. My toes are nice and warm.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

I tore the carpet out of my house about 2 years ago and installed wood and experienced the same thing. You get used to it. Go buy some slippers, that is what my wife did.

My hardwood floors have no subflooring or insulation and are over a full basement that can get pretty chilly (old farm house). I actually have to put a little heat into my basement to keep my tootsies from freezing.

What kind of heating system do you have? A hydronic system can utilize under floor heat tubing which is very comfy.

Yes, I have several pairs of slippers including very large, padded chicken feet that were part of a halloween costume. They look really stupid but boy are they warm.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robo wears feet from a chicken????
    I`m in san jose.I installed hardwood floors 2 years ago & insulated under floor with r-19. I don`t feel any cold, BUT i don`t go barefooted, My feet a ugly.My wife goes barefooted & has never complained.

Good way to cool down after a jog. Barefoot on the hardwood. If'n I'm really hot, I go barefoot on the basement floor. It's about 58°F right now.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Close the crawlspace vents. Cover the ground with plastic. Make sure the insulation is in contact with the floor. If it is hanging down and there is an airspace between the insulation and the floor, it's not doing much good.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmcm5 View Post
    Close the crawlspace vents. Cover the ground with plastic. Make sure the insulation is in contact with the floor. If it is hanging down and there is an airspace between the insulation and the floor, it's not doing much good.
    I'd put the plastic down anyhow also. You may also want to read up on crawl spaces.http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...OAS=&NIL=False and http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi.../crawl_spaces/
    Just a few good sources.

That's why grandma darned rugs!

Radiant floor heating.

MA