Trane Varitrac System

I'm having a problem connecting a laptop to an older varitrac without the interactive display. I don't have a model or serial but I can post the part number if it helps. I downloaded the operation and I.O.M. manuals and configured hyper-terminal according to specs. But even though the screen said I was connected I got no data in the dialog box.It said it was connected whether the trane adaptor cable was connected or not. I was told I didn't need any specific software to connect.(the CCP has an aluminum cover with four screws that you loosen to remove cover, I don't know if this gives anyone an idea what panel it is) Trane said none of the numbers on the panel or stickers on the board correlate to any of the numbers in their database. On the diagram teh I.O.M. shows plugging the cable to the CCP and then to the 25 pin serial port on the pc. The only port I have is labeled printer. Will the pc recognize this. Not being exceptionally computer literate I don't really know why it didn't connect. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as any direction as to where I can further educate myself regarding these systems and using laptops for access. TIA

Varitrac CCP

The printer port wont work.Its has to be a serial port. I've also used a usb to serial converter. Then you have to match the correct Baud rate usually 1200. Trial and error will usually find it. I think their might be a dip switch that forces the ccp to 1200.

You also need to set your hyperterminal connection vt100,data bits 8, Parity none,flow control,X on X off. Stop bits one, if it is real old set up to 1200 baud, continue to try and go up to 2400, etc.. unitl you connect, You MUST HAVE CAP LOCK ON! Then use M for menu, L for list and S for select, use + and - to make changes to points that are enable or disable followed by enter key, this should get you going.

Varitrac

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned I'm new to this stuff. Learning as I go to some degree. We installed a varitrac with the interactive display for this customer and he now wants us to take over the building. He has four more varitracs and three carrier comfort zones. From the posts on these pages I gather neither is a joy to work with. One post mentioned that you need to use the serial port to connect. I only have one 25 pin female port on the laptop, which is marked printer. Is this not a serial port? There is no USB port. I have no literature with the laptop. Its about four years old and has bounced around our company. Is it possible a computer this old cannot be used to access a varitrac? Again thanks for any help, and if there are sites anyone can recommend regarding terminal emulation please let me know.

Seewll,

Give me more cowbell! LOL

As mentioned the 25 pin printer port on your laptop will not work for this. You need a serial port, either 9 pin or 25 pin. If you have not then suggest to get usb serial adapter, most will be 9 pin. If you do not have a usb port then what ports do you have? PCMCIA maybe? They make usb adapters for those as well. If you still need help try this link. Once you have your serial port available, connect to the Comfort Manager panel, this is the older version before CCP. Cable can be purchased from Trane or made your self. Use Hyperterminal to access the menus. This panel will talk 300, 1200, 2400 or 4800 baud only. Caps Lock will need to be on.

Vexing Varitrac

Thanks for the help. I finally did link up with this panel by using an extra laptop with a 9 pin serial port(and I now know what a serial port is!!!) I finally resolved the problems with one zone. My laptop does have usb's they were under a cover. Again, still getting my feet wet with the whole connectivity deal. One more question: If I use my laptop with a usb to serial adaptor, will the computer automatically recognize the device? When I'm in hyper terminal what would I type into the "connect using" dialog box? On the other computer I used com 1 as this was the location of the 9 pin serial port. If I use the usb would that option come up in the connect using box? I know I've already said it too many times, but I really appreciate the help and the links.

You can see what comm port number is assigned in the Windows Device Manager.

Ken

usb connection

i use the usb connection, when i bought my usb to 9 pin cable it came with a driver disc installed driver, computer reconized it. and then in the connection box i used comm3 and got right in. hope this helps