exhaust / ventilation considerations for boiler room

I'm planning on remodeling our basement which would involve turning the existing boiler room into two rooms, one of which becoming finished space (home office). I'm concerned about airflow and exhaust considerations for the remaining boiler room. I also want to minimize fumes and odor throughout the basement (ie., in the new home office as well as throughout the rest of the basement).

The house is heated via a oil fired boiler (actually, a rather old one though I'm not planning on replacing it at this point), square footage is approx 2,500 (excluding basement). The current boiler room, which is rather empty, measures 12 feet wide by 25 feet long. It would be halved, so the new boiler room would be 12 feet by 12.5 feet.

An exhaust hood could be installed over the boiler that exits via piping through an outside wall, a fresh air vent/fan could also be installed to supply fresh air, etc. Are these measures necessary or advisable? I'd rather not install vented door(s) between the boiler room and finished areas of the basement. I plan on asking my oil company, but would appreciate any others' thoughts.

Cool

You need a professional to map out such an installation in detail. If they plan on power venting out the sidewall, the location of the termination needs to be approved by the building dept., permits pulled, and the entire installation inspected. Yes, you will need makeup air. There are codes and calculations as to how to do this but in general, it should consist of two vents, each a min. 100 sq. inches net free opening one within 12" of the ceiling, one within 12" of the floor. You'll need to ensure the venting meets clearances to combustiibles.

In short, it is complicated. Your contractor should have a detailed plan that is approved by the bldg. dept mechanical inspector. Do your homework and ask a lot of questions. Make sure you get the details in the contract and insist on confirmation it works by using a combustion analyzer.

HTH,
    Hearthman