Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Project Management is tough. You get it from both ends. From the contractors and from your company. I was offered a PM job and turned it down.

If I had to do it all over again, probably would have just become a inside wireman. Put in conduit and run wires. DONE.

Admittedly

I have to admit this field can be really dry sometimes. Annoying too. Whether its working on the programming end or fixing problems I find myself less motivated than I used to be. At my last company I loved the job I had and the people I worked with especially. But the company was paying me and others heavily below what we were qualified so a bunch of us left. I ended up at a new company that kind of does controls on so many different systems and now I am kind of like what the heck because one day I can be working on something modern like Trane and then the next will be some blast from the past like ancient Andover. I know its not so bad if you started in this field back in the 80's or early 90's because you got to grow with this technology. For a guy like me who has been doing it less than 10 years it can still take a while when you have to constantly figure out why someone would do such a thing (referring to ancient systems).

Quote Originally Posted by whatnoise View Post
    Interesting you mention Tridium. I was talking to our VP of controls about my situation and he suggested getting back into programming. I haven't done much of it for the past 5 or 6 years but I think it would get me back into the technology. He me wanted to look into the Tridium package and do some research to see if it would work for us. We do more plan and spec and I don't see Tridium in the list of approved manufacturers on most jobs. Ho do you apply it in that circumstance?
    90 percent of what we do is plan and spec. We are a Honeywell ACI contractor but they are rarely listed in the specs. We call the engineers and talk to them about what we have. As long as it is not a flat spec it has never been a problem getting it on the approved list.

Think about, alot of control mfg's are utilizing Tridium now.
    Go Rangers!

I'm not hijackiing this thread. Someone mentioned "The time schedules coming from the JACE won't work anymore as well as the customer being able to use a browser for monitoring, but the controllers will still share data among themselves just fine, " this is not the case unless you can explain otherwise.

How do you figure that won't work incontrol?

However, you dont always have to use the Jaces schedule objects, you can use ones built in to the field devices if they have them.
    “It is impossible for one to learn what one thinks they already know"

you poor bored PM'S are tearing my heart out. i guess it is hard to get motivated to go to a great job, in a climate controlled office, and talk on the phone or answer emails. i got an idea, if you want excitement try going out to the field and hump compressors or pipe up ladders or get under a hood and weld pipe all day for half the money. time for a reality check.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    I'm not hijackiing this thread. Someone mentioned "The time schedules coming from the JACE won't work anymore as well as the customer being able to use a browser for monitoring, but the controllers will still share data among themselves just fine, " this is not the case unless you can explain otherwise.
    The controllers will share data just fine between each other as long as you have made your bindings from controller to controller.

As Code said you can use controllers with internal schedule capabilities as well. I have a job right now that is using some Honeywell Spyders doing VAV unit control and talking to a bunch of Vav's and the Jace is not even installed yet. The Job has all been engineered through AX.
    Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    you poor bored PM'S are tearing my heart out. i guess it is hard to get motivated to go to a great job, in a climate controlled office, and talk on the phone or answer emails. i got an idea, if you want excitement try going out to the field and hump compressors or pipe up ladders or get under a hood and weld pipe all day for half the money. time for a reality check.
    Wow! I don't know what your PM's do but I'm in the field 90% of the time making sure people do what we pay them to do. Allot of us started this business doing what you do including me. I'm not looking for your sympathy so get off the horse.

I know what you mean, I went thru that back a few years ago. I can't help but remember what a good friend told me when I first took a PM job. He said "I know what those people do for a living and it can't help but change your personality and who you are". He was right, the travel, the late nights, the phone never quits ringing, wondering just how some people can sleep at night after the crap that they pulled on you that day, being away from the family while on the road jobs, the wife complaining about you not being there when you WANTED to be there, no appreciation for you personal sacrifices, no doubt....it gets to you!

I was forced into a different position due to company growth, I went from PM to Service Manager, in many ways it is the same crap but it's different crap from different people every day. The phone still rings constantly, the hours still suck, the travel still sucks, sometimes you're still under appreciated, but hey its' a living and not a bad one. I'll take service over PM any day of the week.

Some day I'm going to give this all up and I'm counting on getting some hair back, losing some weight, my stress levels will drop down, my wife will quit bitc@#ng, and I'll once again become the calm mild manored guy that I once was. Who am I kidding, I'll be dead before that!
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by whatnoise View Post
    Wow! I don't know what your PM's do but I'm in the field 90% of the time making sure people do what we pay them to do. Allot of us started this business doing what you do including me. I'm not looking for your sympathy so get off the horse.

i hear alot of *****ing from office people , but i never see them giving it up to go back into the rags.

i just try to appreciate how good i have it, and not forget how tough it is in the trenches.
    Last edited by viceman; 01-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Tridium does not have field controllers that I know of, unless you count the Jace with NDIO. They do have a very good supervisory controller capable if integrating multiple field protocols into a single, easy to use, web accessable format.

And after 20+ years in the controls business, I was getting burned out big time. A change of scenery gave me a boost, and learning the Tridium product was a big part of that.

Tridium does have field controllers. If you don't already know, Honeywell owns Tridium. Honeywell offers the Spyder controller in 3 versions. Unitary, VAV, & VAV without the actuator mtr. These are freely programmable only under the Niagara AX workbench.

You can also get the Vykon branded Spyder Via your Vykon Systems Distributer.

Also, With The JACE 2 and 6, you have the option of up to 64 I/O (an I/O 32 and 2 I/O 16's) Also, the JACE 403 has 6 UI's & 4 Class C relay outputs.

If you're worried about Tridium (Vykon) being on the Spec. list, Sign on as a Honeywell ACS/ASI and Buy Niagara under the Honeywell WEBS branding.

Other options are JCI's facility explorer FX40 (JACE 403) or American Automatrix Integra (JACE 403 & 545).
    I actually work with all of them I've listed here.

Try it

Our company is an OEM of Tridium and makes the JACE product under the name JENEsys. If anyone wants to try the product out, contact me or visit www.lynxspring.com

I hear you. I got pigeon holed for 3 years as "the pneumatics guy". I got stuck with every job. Everyone wants to learn the DDC & no one is interested in pneumatics. Bottom line: there is tons of it still out there and the stuff lasts forever!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast