Replacement HVAC

I am considering a few options. Working with Sears and was quoted on a 5 ton Kenmore system at 14.5 SEER and a Carrier Infinity at 15 SEER but the combined SEER would be 21. Big price difference. I was given a model number for the Infinity which doesnt match the Carrier web site for their best system. The sales man in his quote stated this system is their bet though Model 24ANA760.
    I would like to ask the saleman more detailed questions without him taking advantage of me.
    How do I know I am getting what he is quoting me? How do i know what should be included in the price? Should I ask for the UV lamp and Ventilator or is this automatically part of the "system"?
    I feel a bit helpless with such a big investment.
    Finally, would I need the extended warantee for this system?

Thank you from South Florida.

Get teh mod number of both the outdoor and indoor, then you can check the ARI website and see what the SEER rating really is.

I think you might want to get a couple other companies to give you estimates.
    I think you might find that salesmans claims are inflated.

Remember, if it isn't written on the contract, it was never discussed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

On your proposal ask for all the model numbers to be listed for the equipment that is bid. Your proposal should be in writing and be very clear, don't sign it untill you understand what you are getting. UV lamps and ventilators are sometimes optional equipment. Make sure a load calc is done. ask to see a copy of the load calc. Some contractors won't give you a copy of the load calc ( unless you buy from them) but should not have a problem sharing it with you as part of the bid. Get more then one bid, ask for refferals and call them. Alot of brochures will say things like "up to 21 seer!" or "up to 94.6% effciency!" but sometimes only one model in the whole line up will hit those numbers. Ask your sales guy if he can provide you with an ARI print out of the equipment on the bid.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Hey no fair ! beenthere types faster then me! ditto on the post!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

check the model numbers

He may have missqouted what he was offering you, and have to stand by it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPP View Post
    ... a Carrier Infinity at 15 SEER but the combined SEER would be 21.
    NFW. I can write that out but I'd get in trouble.

The Model you are quoting is a 14.5-15.0 S.E.E.R.depending on which air handler or gas furnace & coil you have installed with it.25ANA3 would be the Infinity series condenser.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

I am a Texas homeowner too. Do not be surprised if your actual model and size of AC delivers considerably less SEER than the advertisement. Usually it is the smaller models which meet that number, often with only one specific air handler and coil. You might consider modifying your contract in the direction of better SEER, assuming you are not already there.

For example Trane has a 2-stage top of the line they advertise as XL19, implying 19 SEER. You can actually get that if what you need is one of the little ones. But if you need 5 ton sizing you might be in the ballpark of 15-16 SEER (my own 3-ton is rated at 17.25 SEER). It's still the same good quality design as ever, just the best numbers are a special case situation.

In hot-humid climates don't forget how important humidity control is, and don't forget the SEER numbers game does not do one thing to help humidity control. Trading away some SEER number for better humidity removal, is a valid trade-off.

One of the experienced guys on this forum says ignore the SEER number, look instead at EER. I tend to believe he is basically right, just that his way is even more subtle and less simple. That is part of the reason why a pro who knows this stuff thoroughly is invaluable -- think of such a person as a consultant as much as a workman, and in a fair world he should be paid accordingly.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Thumbs down Run!!!!

SEARS! RUN! and don't look back. I was a subcontracted company for sears for a year,till I had enough of them shafting people! The Kenmore brand is a hack,made by ICP(international comfort products)they will tell you its a great unit its a Tempstar or Heil, they just swap the sticker. All Sears does is find a contractor in the area to install it for them, i don't need to tell you the more people in the mix the more money things cost!(A LOT MORE) Call a good reputable Carrier five star dealer in your area, they will have just as good finance options threw Carrier as sears or BETTER! You you will have a more direct customer service than calling a 1-800-numbers 2k miles away, not to mention you will get A LOT more for your $. Good Luck

If some of the PRO's want more info let me know I will start a thread in the PRO's section so we can disscus the facts!
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

System bought

All,
    Thank you for the invaluable feedback.
    I did end up with the top of the line 5 ton Trane two-stage. Quoted as 17 SEER for the air handler, but I bought the whole system and added an air intake vent in the wall next to the air handler stand for more efficient operation.
    I had to tear out the 22" door as this larger unit didnt fit in, so I had extra costs of a carpenter and painter the but the system is amazing. Very quiet. Cools the house down in minutes. Really like the touch pad control.
    Carrier was more expensive and I didn't see the benefits and Sears I dismissed quickly. Hope this is the last system I ever buy.
    Thanks
    DN in PP

Best I see with that unit & AH is 15.10 so hope you aren't expecting 17 SEER

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    One of the experienced guys on this forum says ignore the SEER number, look instead at EER. I tend to believe he is basically right, just that his way is even more subtle and less simple. That is part of the reason why a pro who knows this stuff thoroughly is invaluable -- think of such a person as a consultant as much as a workman, and in a fair world he should be paid accordingly.
    That person would be me, but like you I am not a pro just a regular ole homeowner. Like yourself, I enjoy learning technical things and trying to help others. When I needed a new heat pump, I spent months reading this and other forums for education. This forum is worth its weight in gold and the pros who contribute here are the best of the best. I see that you have over 1900 posts - outstanding.

Take care.