"squirrel cage" removal

In the hotel where I work as a maintenance person we have some Trane horizontal cabinet coil heaters. In at least one of these units the blower assembly is in particularly bad shape and needs to be at least cleaned up good, and we need to replace the motor in one of the other units. So for one thing, we want to get the blower fans (squirrel cages) off the motor shafts so we can really get in there good and clean em up. Having trouble getting the cages to come off, though. Loosened the set screws most of the way out, but the cages won't budge off of the shaft. Squirted some good penetrating oil at the hubs of the cages but that didn't help either, they're stuck too hard I guess. Rapped pretty good with a hammer and a board on the cages to try to get them to budge, but don't want to hit them too hard or they'll get all bent or broken. We considered the possiblility of having to pull the cages somehow with a puller, but if there were such a puller we're not familiar with how it would attach or what it we would be pulling against.
    Here's a couple of photos of the blower assembly unit laying on the workbench (a dirty mess, I know). And here's link to the type of motor, (dual shaft, 10 12" inches each side) to get an idea of what we're working with. Any comments/advice appreciated

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/pdf/cat...150/PAGE40.pdf

I use a yellowjacket upc#60590 works on about every squirrel cage and condenser fan blade I've come across. Check out yellowjacket's website, I think it's refered to as fan blade puller

Heat it up a bit and it will damn near slide off.

a good shaft sanding will help also
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

Sand off all that rust from the shaft, wd40, and use one of those fan blade pullers. Any parts house will have it, ask who ever you are going to buy the motor from. Or you could just replace the motor and blower wheels at the same time, cut the shafts and take off whatever assembly parts you need.

if you sit there and watch it long enough the blower wheel will fall off by itself

but if you dont want to wait around for a couple of 100 years

the 1 with the bad motor just replace the motor and blower wheels

the 1 that need to be cleaned, cover up the motor with plastic and wash it

i beleive those blower wheels are not wide enough to get your hands in to fasten the puller!

anyone who ever changed those things knows there a pain in the a$$

Yep, just change the motor and blowers. Even cleaning the blowers they most likely will be out of balance and that will eventually kill the new motor even if you can stand the vibration.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    if you sit there and watch it long enough the blower wheel will fall off by itself

but if you dont want to wait around for a couple of 100 years

the 1 with the bad motor just replace the motor and blower wheels

the 1 that need to be cleaned, cover up the motor with plastic and wash it

i beleive those blower wheels are not wide enough to get your hands in to fasten the puller!

anyone who ever changed those things knows there a pain in the a$$

I agree- motor + wheels.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    Heat it up a bit and it will damn near slide off.
    I heated it up (duh, why didn't I even think of that?), and they slid right off.

thanks for all the tips, guys...

sand the shafts that the squirrel will slide on hold up on the vertical and run some oil down the shaft just above the hub on the squirrel.take a pipe wrench anf lock it down on thr shaft between the squirrel and the motor ...have another guy slowly turn the squirrel cage till it breaks away and does a 360 full turn,somw WD40 on the remaing shaft and rotate it off.NOTE if that squirrel is bent or the rounds are damaged it will be out a round when you run it and vibrate..take it and roll it on a flat floor to see if it wiggles as it rolls.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    sand the shafts that the squirrel will slide on hold up on the vertical and run some oil down the shaft just above the hub on the squirrel.take a pipe wrench anf lock it down on thr shaft between the squirrel and the motor ...have another guy slowly turn the squirrel cage till it breaks away and does a 360 full turn,somw WD40 on the remaing shaft and rotate it off.NOTE if that squirrel is bent or the rounds are damaged it will be out a round when you run it and vibrate..take it and roll it on a flat floor to see if it wiggles as it rolls.
    Do you get a helper to replace a small motor like this?
    Our job will be so much easier when we grow that third arm.

Usually WD40 a turn of the shaft sanded and they drop right off.

Ultimate puller

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-08-2013 at 06:18 AM.

vulcanram

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.