Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Help!!!!! Trane vs. Rheem

My 15 year old 2 ton 10 seer contractors grade heat pump finally bit the dust. I've been looking into a lot of units. I have a small rancher in Central Maryland. I use about 5 months heat and 5 months air. I'm really looking for something that will be energy efficient with long life. I'm seriously leaning toward Trane or Rheem. Can someone give me some input?

I've been advised that I need a 2.5 ton system for my home. And that all the duct work is still in good enough condition to hook up to. The Trane is a 15 seer with matching (v/s) air handler. The Rheem is a 14 seer with a matching vari speed air handler. Both have R-410A Refrigerant. The Trane estimate is about 25% higher priced, since they are fazing out the XL14i. What is the difference in these products? Besides seer rating?

Also will my 10 seer 2 ton duct work really be OK for either of these units?

Thanks in advance for any input.......

We've sold both lines for 15+ years. Even though I have a Trane furnace, I didn't want their heat pump, I wanted a Rheem product. Just felt they build a great heat pump. Both my furnace & pump have been flawless.

First, I find NO matches of the 4TWX4030 getting 15 SEER with a Trane indoor unit, you better ask your dealer for written proof of that.

What I found for ratings:

That pump with 4TEE3F31 variable speed air handler gives:

14.00 SEER, 8.45 HSPF,

In the Rheem line, the RPPL-030 with RHLL-036 air handler gives:

14.50 SEER, a whopping 10.10 HSPF, they don't get much higher than that!

So if the Rheem is 25% less, I'd go that way in a flash!

As for going bigger than what you have, I'd want to be sure the ducts can handle it. Our experience says VERY FEW houses have enough ductwork for the size equipment they have let alone room to oversize. I think the boss surveyed installation reports and found normal duct pressures on less than 10% of the jobs we do.

Wink

Just a note, the Trane 4twr3030 hits 15 seer with the 4tee3f39 airhandler! I do belive Trane just re-tested the xr line as the XL14 is being phased out. The ARI number is 1382197.Have a GREAT new year!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Twilli say trust the loon....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    Just a note, the Trane 4twr3030 hits 15 seer with the 4tee3f39 airhandler! I do belive Trane just re-tested the xr line as the XL14 is being phased out. The ARI number is 1382197.Have a GREAT new year!
    Actually that's the 4TWR4030 but the numbers on it look good with good heating capacity and HSPF. Lots better choice than the XLi for someone who has to have a Trane.

JEEEZZZZ I still need more coffee! Thanks for pointing that out! I will preview my posts a little closer!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Thumbs up THanks so much.....& Happy New Year Everybody

Thanks for all your input..... I really appreciate it.

The exact information has not been specified on the Rheem only that it is a 14 seer with V/S air handler. John, Is the one you've mentioned (which sounds great), the only 14 seer unit available? Or should I be getting more information to verify that is the one you've described?

If the companies I'm dealing with are saying the duct work is OK. What else should/could I be looking/checking for?

Always best to get exact model numbers in & out. The combo I mentioned gives the best performance so I would ask the dealer if that's what he has in mind. The RHLL-030 air handler is less efficient so that's why I mentioned the next larger one.

http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RPPL
    http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RHLL
    Check out these web sites for rheem units. These units provide 2.5 ton heat pump service and have energy star ratings. Plus the air handler has the x-13 motor which will save you money on your power bill over the old psc motors in other air handlers. Have a blessed new year!

Is the Trane the 4TWX4030 (XL14i) or 4TWX5030 (XL15i)?

Trane model

The XL14i is being phased out.... I was quoted the price on a XL15i although I don't know exactly what model was quoted. Only that it is the one replacing the XL14i.

If you are looking at the 4TWX5030, be sure the indoor unit is the new 4TEE3F39. It's the only one with decent performance. The others don't even get 15 SEER.

Post Rheem vs. Trane

I'm waiting to talk to the contractor about the Rheem Wednesday. I think I'll go with that one if I can get the RHLL-036 air handler Sounds like just what I'm looking for........

I really appreciate the spec information but I can't seem to understand what I'm looking for in it What would the efficiency rating difference be if it were the 30? Would there really be a huge difference?

Thanks bunches.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast