Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goodman Heat pump products vs trane lower seer units

I have received 5 quotes from 4 different contractors for a dual fuel system. All 4 contractors pushed Trane XR13 units. However, the general consensus was that Goodman makes a good product and is gaining popularity. I had a Goodman in another house and was generally pleased. Would it be better to install the Trane XR13 4 ton heat pump with a Goodman 95% gas furnance (non Variable speed) or install a Goodman 14 Seer High efficiency heat pump with the 95% Gas furnace with Variable speed? They estimates comparable in price.

No matter which way you go, a variable speed blower is the way to do it for better control of air and humidity along with year round energy savings.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

What is your experience with Goodman and the warranties?

warranty administration is reasonable with most major manufacturers. I am surprised by the fact that you got 4 quotes from a brand you weren't familiar with, but only 1 from the brand you had first-hand experience with. If you were pleased with the Goodman product in your other home, why not give them thy thumbs up?

A quality installation will be determined by the contractor not by the product.

the best warranty experience is to have had NO warranty experience.

all the best, Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I think you'll find that the Goodman 14 gives better heating performance than anything Trane. Let's look:

GSH14048, 14.00 SEER 8.50 HSPF, 46,000 BTU heat at 47°, 29,000 BTU at 17°

2TWR3048, 13.00 SEER 8.00 HSPF, 41,500 BTU and 24,000 BTU heating

The Goodman will cost quite a bit less to heat with since less backup is needed due to the better output. I think Trane is a better built product (excluding compressor) but the Goodman will do fine if sized & installed right and has a better warranty.

I am familiar with both, however, I have felt that you pay for the Trane name. It is more of a fact finding experience for my wife. She believes in Brand recognition. I look for the overall best value, not necessarily price but value for your dollar. The thing that really concerns me is that I have 4 quotes with 4 different load calculations and I recieved at least 3 different unit sizes. 3 ton to 4 ton. I have a 3 ton central A/C unit with oil heat. Oil does great but A/C does not do the job at all. The contractor who I am using (I feel more comfortable with) is installing a 4 ton and also insulating my duct work and adding 2 new returns. Everyone else, was going to install 3.5 and 3 but not adding insulation to my duct work. Does this sound like they know what they are doing?

I would say go for the variable speed. You'll be very happy. That said, and I'm not brand bashing. I do this for a living and would choose a Trane over a Goodman any day. Goodman is ok, probably better than they used to be. If you can afford a full Trane setup go with it. If not, then go with the Goodman matched variable speed setup. Where do you live you need such a high efficient furnace for backup heat? Seems like you might do better off with an 80% furnace variable speed than going with 95%. IMO, dual fuel isn't worth it unless you can only get propane.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I think you'll find that the Goodman 14 gives better heating performance than anything Trane. Let's look:

GSH14048, 14.00 SEER 8.50 HSPF, 46,000 BTU heat at 47°, 29,000 BTU at 17°

2TWR3048, 13.00 SEER 8.00 HSPF, 41,500 BTU and 24,000 BTU heating

The Goodman will cost quite a bit less to heat with since less backup is needed due to the better output. I think Trane is a better built product (excluding compressor) but the Goodman will do fine if sized & installed right and has a better warranty.
    Plus, when used with a variable speed blower that GSH14 is rated at 15 SEER.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I would say go for the variable speed. You'll be very happy. That said, and I'm not brand bashing. I do this for a living and would choose a Trane over a Goodman any day. Goodman is ok, probably better than they used to be. If you can afford a full Trane setup go with it. If not, then go with the Goodman matched variable speed setup. Where do you live you need such a high efficient furnace for backup heat? Seems like you might do better off with an 80% furnace variable speed than going with 95%. IMO, dual fuel isn't worth it unless you can only get propane.
    Are you really suggesting to use an 80% gas furnace "AND" that a dual fuel system is not worth.....what? Just what is a dual fuel system not worth?

Oh yea, and I do this for a living as well, only as a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman15 View Post
    I am familiar with both, however, I have felt that you pay for the Trane name. It is more of a fact finding experience for my wife. She believes in Brand recognition. I look for the overall best value, not necessarily price but value for your dollar. The thing that really concerns me is that I have 4 quotes with 4 different load calculations and I recieved at least 3 different unit sizes. 3 ton to 4 ton. I have a 3 ton central A/C unit with oil heat. Oil does great but A/C does not do the job at all. The contractor who I am using (I feel more comfortable with) is installing a 4 ton and also insulating my duct work and adding 2 new returns. Everyone else, was going to install 3.5 and 3 but not adding insulation to my duct work. Does this sound like they know what they are doing?
    If your wife is attracted to brand names, tell her that the Goodman stuff is pretty much Amana...which it is.

Just a note I love Trane and it is an excellent Brand very low warranty call backs, The note that was posted earlier was comparing a 2twr3048 This is an xr13 heat pump ( 13 seer ) and the goodman was a 14 seer. The 2twr4048 is a 14 seer and it hits 9.0 hspf and 14 seer with or without an ecm air handler, (but not 15 like the goodman.) I have installed both and the Trane is higher quality. But Good man has improved their product ALOT recently. Every one, have a great new year!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

.....it so happens that the 2twr4048 has been discontinued. Why talk about it. Some including me might consider it somewhat unethical to sell and install it over a current and much improved CURRENT model TRANE such as (for instance the 4TWX5048A1 4 TON unit. This guy is 14-15 SEER, 8.5-9HSPF 49000BTUH at 47F, 31000BTUH at 17F. More expensive than the GOODMAN
    but about 10db quieter also. On top of that TRANE pulled themselves up by
    thier bootstraps and managed to place ahead of GOODMAN in the 2007 J D POWER survey.

Ah yes! you are correct! The r-22 will still be available for a while, but the original comparison was listed as a 2twr3030 (also r-22). We sell the heck out of the XL15i and it is our biggest seller! The 4twx5 also now is available up to 5 ton!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast