Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monoflo Heat Problem

I have a single loop monoflo system. All convectors working fine except one in hallway. Vented it till hot water started coming out. the monoflo tee about 20" before it is hot and that convector is working fine. The one in question again which is about 20" away, has a nice hot pipe entering the convector, the return is ice cold, well actually the first 6" or so is hot probably the heat from the main line. Any suggestions? Think the convector could be clogged? But why would I be getting water from the vent? Also the system has a 1 1/4" main line, and all the monoflo's come off the tee with 1/2" pipe, all IPS. The circulator is a B&G 100

Because the water can come back through the return pipe just as easy as the supply pipe.
    Try bleeding it slowly.
    If that doesn't work.
    Its doubtfull its clogged.
    You'll need to call a tech out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is the convector level or slightly higher on the vent end?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Is the bleeder on the same side as the monoflow tee?

with a 20ft run off the tee you may need to let the water run out the bleeder for a minute or two to make sure all the air is out.

just opening the bleeder till you see a small flo of water is ok with shorter runs but longer ones the air has farther to go

Did he mean 20 inches as he typed, or 20 foot.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Did he mean 20 inches as he typed, or 20 foot.

been your right guess i didnt read it to well

eyes aint what they use to be
    or is it the brain

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    been your right guess i didnt read it to well

eyes aint what they use to be
    or is it the brain
    There's a computer involved...... I think it's still PC to blame it on that.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Step #1. Be sure the pitch of the convector to the bleed valve is uphill. That is, the bleed valve is at the top of the highest point in the convector. If it isn't repitch the convector so that it is, then rebleed and see what happens.

Step #2. Inspect (if possible) the supply and return pipes from the main. Both MUST pitch uphill, all the way to the convector. If one pipe has begun to sag down at all, reposition it if possible so it's a constant pitch up to the convector.

Step #3. Call in a service tech. Tell him you want a purge set-up installed on the offending circuit. The purge valve (drain) should be in between two ball valves so it can purge in both directions. Once he reactivates the system and purges the offending circuit in both directions, I guarantee your problem will be solved.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Have you measured the head loss of all of the monoflow tees and piping, to see if the currently installed pump is able to move enough water to heat ALL of the convectors?

Monoflow tees are 10 FEET or more of equivlent length of pipe, they add up fast.

I'll bet the pump isn't the original model, but I might be wrong. Not enough specific info to tell.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Murdough View Post

I'll bet the pump isn't the original model, but I might be wrong. Not enough specific info to tell.

Noel
    Or may be it is the original, with a steel impeller.
    Contractor locator map

If the convector is above the main line, usually one mono-flow tee is enough. If the convector is Below the main line, you need 2 mono-flow tees, one for the supply end of the convector and one for the return end of the convector.

If you have a long piping run to the convector, or if the convector is large, you will also need 2 mono-flow tees. If the convector is large, you may need larger tees and branch piping.

The pump sounds fine, I have seen many mono-flow systems with only a B&G series 100 pump.

Of course, that was when I lived & worked in Pennsylvania, Now I am in South Carolina, don't see much Hydronics down here.

Good luck.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    The pump sounds fine, I have seen many mono-flow systems with only a B&G series 100 pump.

Then you know what happens to the old steel impellers.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast