+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me with this ham.

Post Likes

Help me with this ham.

Okay guys.

I read on here that someone deep fryed a fresh ham. I did a search and can't find were I read it. On New Year morning I am going to attempt to cook a 10 lb fresh ham right after the turkey come out of the pot. (big party New years day and you are all invited.)

So how do I do this????? Do I have to trim the ham? How many minutes to a lb. I assume the same temp as the turkey. Do I inject it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Okay guys.

I read on here that someone deep fryed a fresh ham. I did a search and can't find were I read it. On New Year morning I am going to attempt to cook a 10 lb fresh ham right after the turkey come out of the pot. (big party New years day and you are all invited.)

So how do I do this????? Do I have to trim the ham? How many minutes to a lb. I assume the same temp as the turkey. Do I inject it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I "Googled"

http://www.crawfishcoofcentralflainc...am_Recipe.html
    Enjoy and have a "Happy New Year".

I posted this after a glance at the site. Now I went back and read it thoroughly; I'm going to go tomorrow and get me a fryer and a ham!
    Last edited by swellmel; 12-31-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added on comment
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by swellmel View Post
    I "Googled"

http://www.crawfishcoofcentralflainc...am_Recipe.html
    Enjoy and have a "Happy New Year".

I posted this after a glance at the site. Now I went back and read it thoroughly; I'm going to go tomorrow and get me a fryer and a ham!
    Yeah, thanks swell, this looks like a swell recipe and a good plan. I just have to come up with a basket by tomorrow. (no problem)

You don't have a turkey fryer??????? I though all of us crock jockeys has a turkey fryer as standard equipment. Have a great New Year.

Post Likes
    That was disappointing.

Yesterday I deep-fried a turkey and a ham. The turkey came out fine.

The ham was in for the right amount of time according to the recipe from google. The outside was all cooked. The skin (rind) was as hard as a rock. If you saw it anyone would say it was done.

After draining it and letting it sit for 1/2 hour I cut into it. I was raw, raw raw. I didn't even have enough cooked to make the meal. So I cut it in chunks and put it in the microwave in order to save the day.

The injection mariade that was in the recipe was great tasting. I used it in both the ham and the turkey. The main ingridient was beer so how could you go wrong.

I don't think I would try a ham again in peanut oil. With a turkey you are cooking from inside as well as outside. Maybe I am missing something? But this Green Mountain Boy is sticking to the oven when it comes to hams.

Post Likes
    Was the ham at room temp. before you cooked it? What was the internal temp. when you took it out of the fryer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fixerup View Post
    Was the ham at room temp. before you cooked it? What was the internal temp. when you took it out of the fryer?

The ham was fresh. It weighted 14 lbs. The internal temp was around 40 I would guess (it was refrigerated) when I started. It is true some of the internal temperature readings was below the 165*F mark. But I had to make a judgement call because the looked well done.

The rind was hard as a rock and black. It just doesn't make sense in retrospect how one could expect to cook the inside of this meat when none of the bubbling hot oil is getting near it.

weber is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    I have deep fried a ham many of times with great success.

I have never done one that big, normally around 10 lbs or so.

What temp was your oil?

I usually run about 350-375, at about 3 1/2 - 4 min a pound.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    I have deep fried a ham many of times with great success.

I have never done one that big, normally around 10 lbs or so.

What temp was your oil?

I usually run about 350-375, at about 3 1/2 - 4 min a pound.
    It was snowing like a bast@rd but I was running around 325*F. Plus the size of it was problem a combination of the problem.

My son got a oil less cooker for Christmas maybe I should try another one in that rigging.

Post Likes
    I'd have set that leg on the counter and brought her up to room temp first. Thats how I get my best BBQ every time, is "I dont cook cold meat", just like the Beautiful Jade says.........
    Last edited by spotts; 01-04-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I'd have set that leg on the counter and brought her up to room temp first. Thats how I get my best BBQ every time, is "I dont cook cold meat", just like the Beautiful Jade says.........
    Absolutely, no comments on many fronts.

weber is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    I say pick up another one, under ten pounds and try it again.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in