Thread: Amana Heating unit

Post Likes

Amana Heating unit

I came home this evening and my outside heating unit was making a low humming noise and smoking a little. What could this mean? Or what could this possibly be?

Post Likes
    Defrost (normal). It should go away. You'll hear some wooshing noises probably, too. This prevents the outside coil from freezing over. If it's defrosting, that's not smoke.

Post Likes
    If you have a heat pump and it is fairly chilly outside. It was probably going through the defrost cycle. If it starts acting normal within an hour, its probably what it is. Which is what it is supposed to do. Was the fan on top of the unit running or not?

Post Likes

Amana Heating unit

The fan was not running and it had a weird smell. It didn't really smell like anything burning, just smelled really funny. I have never seen it do this before.

Post Likes
    The fan was not running. And it had a weird smell. It was a faint smell, but I freaked out and turned the heat off. Should I turn it back on?

Post Likes
    I think you can turn it back on. I think all it was doing was defrosting. It may continue to defrost until it finishes the defrost cycle. During the defrost cycle, the fan doesn't run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotgirl0324 View Post
    I came home this evening and my outside heating unit was making a low humming noise and smoking a little. What could this mean? Or what could this possibly be?
    My best guess is because you are a "HotGirl", the condenser got a little excited when it saw you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in