Quadrafire Castile Pellet Stove Problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Castile Stove ?

OK I have run into a problem that I cannot figure out. My stove will drop pellets, and will ignite and burn then the flame will go out, once the flame goes out the stove will drop pellets and repeat the process. Sometime the blower will shut off but the fire in the pit is still burning. If I vacuum the fire pit out it will sometimes run right for a short time, but will then return to this pattern.

Any ideas?

Doesn't really make any sense. First thing I would do is a full cleaning, pull all the baffles out and any access traps. Clean all the ash out you can. Sweep ther vent out. Then see how it runs.

If it still does the same thing, I would try a new control board, but really you should have someone look at it because it could be something else entirly. What you described is basically impossible and doesn't make any sense.

Castile exhaust fan...

Hi, somewhat related topic... 14 mos ago we replaced our 6yr old castile insert exhaust fan (812-4400). This season the new fan has died. In the middle of a fire it simply stopped. Multi-meter confirms voltage to the fan and it turns freely by hand.

The dealer I purchased it through, and who I opted to have install it last year, will halpily allow me to purchase a replacement but will not do anything on price or installation. They're great to do business with.

Since I consider the fan I have reasonably new (should get at least a few more years out of it); is it worth rebuilding? Does anyone do that or is ~$200 for another fan the best I'll do anyways.

Opinions?

thanks,
    -Tom

I have had a quadrafire castille for about 4 years. This past season it developed a problem with controlling the flame. It would go from normal size burn to a high and lazy flame, then back again to normal. Also, I had to cut the feed rate down as far as it would go. I'm suspicious of the thermalcouple and ceramic cover (which is deterorated). Am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by reiermann View Post
    I have had a quadrafire castille for about 4 years. This past season it developed a problem with controlling the flame. It would go from normal size burn to a high and lazy flame, then back again to normal. Also, I had to cut the feed rate down as far as it would go. I'm suspicious of the thermalcouple and ceramic cover (which is deterorated). Am I on the right track?
    No. The thermocouple only sense 3 states: off (low firepot temp), startup burn (medium temp), running (normal firepot temp). Unless it has an intermittent short and the stove is actually cycling on and off then that is not the problem. You can watch the lights on the control box to verify what the thermocouple is reading (check the manual).

My first suspect would be cleaning, everything, top to bottom, venting, behind baffles, comb blower blades, etc...

If that does not take care of it check to make sure the comb blower is running at full speed constantly. It could be getting bound up and not spinning full speed 100% of the time, this would be rare for only a 4 year old stove.

Most pellet stove problems are from lack of regular maintenance.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty good with cleaning, I vacume it out everynight, and remove the top and rear plates twice a season. The only thing you mentioned that I don't do is the combustion fan blades. I've never noticed if the fan slows down occasionally, something for me to listen for. I'm curious if the fact that the stove starts and stop a lot because the area it's heating is about 900 sq ft and the thermostat is commanding it to has anything to do with the problem.

Any thoughts?

reiermann, The tall lazy flame you described in the first post is usually from a dirty stove. Lack of air flow lets the fire burn lazy. Air flow is restricted by fly ash.

Check the venting and blower for sure, and also make sure the air holes in the firepot are nice and clean and reamed out.

Will do, Thanks

Castille and other Quadrifire Burning Issues

Hello all, my name is Scott and I am the owner of pelletstoveservice.com, an alternative to dealer oriented service for pellet stoves. I think I can help you folk out here.

I found this thread via google alerts under certain key words I have started monitoring across the web. Looking through this thread I see a lot of you with similar questions and symptoms, though the trigger for such events may be entirely different.

I am quite familiar with Quad devices and used to be up to date with HHT service manuals. Troubleshooting these problems is easy enough, HHT has designed them this way. To note: 80% of all problems with pellet stoves result from draft issues stemming from a dirty appliance. Before attempting thorough troubleshooting, clean the entire appliance to bring it into a neutral state. THIS INCLUDES THE EXHAUST VENT ALL OF THE WAY OUT TO THE OUTSIDE AIR. Get it clean and free of ash.

Problem #1 -Rise and fall flame/ Failure to start and keep running - Before troubleshooting the entire thing, check the settings of your control box to make sure the thermocouple is reading properly. BLUE flashing READY - When red call light is lit, GREEN FLASHING through start up - SOLID GREEN when 300 degrees is reached - RED SOLID when 600 degrees is reached. If these lights not happen and the pellets feed everytime the reset button is pressed either the thermocouple is bad or the control box is bad. If the thermocouple will read .001mV at room temp then it should be fine. If so, then you need a new control box. $468.00 from a HHT dealer.

If all checks out electronically then this is a symptom of inconsistent air flow which usually has to do with ash that is "tumbling" over a clean out T or up a liner in a flue. If this is clear and the problem persists, check the voltage to the motor for a constant 120 (or there abouts). If the power is fine, check the RPM of the impeller, it should read between 2880-3015 on high and a consistent fraction thereof on medium and low. These motors are TRIAC controlled and receive varying voltage for the heat setting which is selected. If voltage and RPM are fine, then you are not receiving enough combustion air. In some instances of small fire boxes, I have also seen convection motors and the combustion motor compete for the same makeup air in a tight install. Perhaps try opening the ash dump within the hearth if you have one or install an OAK if you do not already have one. Somewhere in all of this also make sure that the air intake if free and clear and the burn pot holes are unobstructed.

If your Castille has the gray control box, there is a chance that the control box may be bad. I replace 20 or so of these each season. If you have the newer clear control box, there is dial which tells the control box what model stove it is in. I do not have it in front of me but perhaps the number is set for another stove model....

Hard to type out everything, feel free to contact me via email or in this thread for other specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    No. The thermocouple only sense 3 states: off (low firepot temp), startup burn (medium temp), running (normal firepot temp). Unless it has an intermittent short and the stove is actually cycling on and off then that is not the problem. You can watch the lights on the control box to verify what the thermocouple is reading (check the manual).

My first suspect would be cleaning, everything, top to bottom, venting, behind baffles, comb blower blades, etc...

If that does not take care of it check to make sure the comb blower is running at full speed constantly. It could be getting bound up and not spinning full speed 100% of the time, this would be rare for only a 4 year old stove.

Most pellet stove problems are from lack of regular maintenance.
    these stoves are triac controlled so the voltage may be higher or lower depending upon the heat setting

Quote Originally Posted by reiermann View Post
    This sounds more like a control box issue, check the status lights for BLUE, Flashing GREEN, solid GREEN and solid RED. You may also check the thermocouple for Ohms resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by BCFDtruck26 View Post
    OK I have run into a problem that I cannot figure out. My stove will drop pellets, and will ignite and burn then the flame will go out, once the flame goes out the stove will drop pellets and repeat the process. Sometime the blower will shut off but the fire in the pit is still burning. If I vacuum the fire pit out it will sometimes run right for a short time, but will then return to this pattern.

Any ideas?
    clogged vacuum switch/ hose, faulty switch or control box issue

Quote Originally Posted by denap View Post
    Hi, somewhat related topic... 14 mos ago we replaced our 6yr old castile insert exhaust fan (812-4400). This season the new fan has died. In the middle of a fire it simply stopped. Multi-meter confirms voltage to the fan and it turns freely by hand.

The dealer I purchased it through, and who I opted to have install it last year, will halpily allow me to purchase a replacement but will not do anything on price or installation. They're great to do business with.

Since I consider the fan I have reasonably new (should get at least a few more years out of it); is it worth rebuilding? Does anyone do that or is ~$200 for another fan the best I'll do anyways.

Opinions?

thanks,
    -Tom
    the motor for this fan can be matched a GRAINGER for $43.80

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast