Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Utility cost/charges

Greetings.

Hope this is the correct forum for this thread but here goes.

Just got this months utility bill. We have a heat pump. From 11-21 to 12-21, I put the T-stat on 70, didn't touch it after that and "let 'er run" , to quote a board member. For the 31 days of use, my cost for the heating was ~$3.50 per day. No big deal. Sounds cheap enough. Weather was still mild.

But my head is spinning trying to make sense of what them bastiges are trying to do. Half of the month I was charged one rate. The second half I was charge a couple cents more. For the first baseline quantity I was charged at a rate. Then at 101%-130% another rate. Then from 131%-200 another. Finally from 201% -300 yet another.

My coming to terms with this was that the average was $.196325 per Kwh.

As for gas, I use it for the clothes dryer, stove, and hot water. The gravity wall furnace has been abandoned since the HP and ducting was installed. My baseline quantity is 33.6 Therms. I used only 14.45161 @ $1.21296
    I do not know what the price of gas is when over the baseline.

My point of all this gibberish is, How do I figure out what energy source is/would be cheaper. I'm not trying to split hairs but I is no engineer,

As for the Heat Pump, this is our third heating season. I"m used to it's personality as compared to Gas and am happy with the utility costs.

As a side note, when I get the unit size vs ductwork size vs house size worked out, I may be even at a lower monthly cost. You'll have to check my other threads to follow that quagmire.

Peace to you and yours. Have a safe and prosperous New Year.

i don't have an answer ..

here in NY ..

it's costing me $7/ day for heat ...

and ..

it ain't even cold yet ....

i quit burnin' Kero .. at $3.49/ gal ...

whadda hell are Old People doing ...for heat ... man .. gotta kill yer SS check ...

gonna get serious ....

I'm surprised with the price of electricity in Cali that your running a heat pump. My dad lives just above fresno, and figured even using propane is cheaper than running a heat pump. My dad uses an evap cooler in the summer, but my grandparents next door have a newer 13 seer rheem, and running it in the summer at 80 degrees, their bill is still around 350.00 a month!

Well as for the heat pump, I was misled by the hacktractor, I mean contractor. He said that I'd get 120* from the HP and 140* from forced air.

Yes, I do get 120* but only when the aux is engaged. THEN it spins my meter to the moon and back. It has taken me three heating seasons to get used to 80-90* temps from the registers. I set the T-stat at 70 and "let 'er run". But to be honest, The heat and cool seasons are short where I'm at. Seasons are mild also. We're an hour east of San Fran. Last summer I had the AC on maybe three weeks. I used the whole house attic fan more than the AC. Blah blah. Besides, wages are higher here so it's a wash. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with CFL's and cut my bill in half.

I think HP's are do-able where I'm at. I did abandon the 40 yr old gas wall furnace and but may put in a new one as additional heat. Eff% isn't as good with those but I'd only have to help about 500 sq ft of living space. I like the bedrooms cooler at night anyway. More of a reason to snuggle up to my favorite suggley. But I'm drifting off topic.

I would like to find out how to equate BTU's with Gas vs Electric vs what the charge me; those bastiges.

My electric averaged $.19/ KWH. Don't know how that compares to other parts of the US of A. And to recap to that the gas was $1.21/ Therm for basline charges. Dunno what the gas would be above baseline.

Fresno would have different design parameters than where I'm at.

As for your GP's, having a new unit installed doesn't mean they were gonna save money. Everything else has to be in order. This includes their personal comfort level.

I'm all screwed up here also with a HP that's too large for the house and the ductwork installed at the same time was engineered too small for the unit.
    Woe is me. I'm learning also. I'm having some load calc's done as we speak.
    Gonna have to start all over.

It would be nice to have others post their electric and gas rates from various US cities.

I found this link regarding info about cities. I plugged in Fresno and can see that the summer temps are indeed higher than Livermore. I'm sure that any city can be plugged in.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Liverm...lifornia.html/

www.city-data.com/city/Fresno-California.html/

Scroll down half way to view the temp and related charts. may not be the best but it's something.

Confused Energy Cost

Quote Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
    It would be nice to have others post their electric and gas rates from various US cities.
    Uncle Sam has a whole department doing it for you:
    U.S. EIA Energy Information Administration ... http://www.eia.doe.gov/

Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State -----------------------------------
    Electric Power Monthly with data for September 2007

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Natural Gas

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/ng/ng_...PRS_DMcf_a.htm
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Ooo La La

Thumbs up Weather Data = EASY search

I plugged in Fresno and can see that the summer temps are indeed higher than Livermore.
    2007 Livermore CA

2693 Heating Degree Days
    686 Cooling Degree Days

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

With those LOW summer Dew Points, my A/C usage would be very limited.
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 12-30-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

My baseline for the first 390.6 Kwh is $0.11430

The chart show $0.1497. So I'm right in there as an avg with .19 at my higher rate.

Cool Rates

My baseline for the first 390.6 Kwh is $0.11430

The chart show $0.1497. So I'm right in there as an avg with .19 at my higher rate.
    PG&E 2008 Rates

Chart of Expected Average Monthly Electric Bill for Residential Customers
    Monthly Average
    residential 2008
    customer Monthly
    usage Bill ___ $ / kW
    560 kWh $74.50 _ $0.151
    850 kWh $147.49 _ $0.174
    1000 kWh $193.25 _ $0.193
    1500 kWh $362.47 _ $0.242

For more information about Pacific Gas and Electric Company,
    please visit our web site at http://www.pge.com

http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariff...lecCurrent.xls

Use a lot (> 1,000kwh), $pend your money fa$ter at PG&E
    Designer Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast