trane force flo blower motor

In the hotel where I work as a maintenance person, there are three separate but identical Trane horizontal Force-Flo cabinet heaters installed in the utility area. These are old units, installed approximately 1978. In one of the units the blower motor burned out, likely due to lack of maintenance, and the motor needs to be replaced. With the info I have, I seem to be having a heck of a time so far finding an appropriate replacement for the motor, and am hoping someone who is more familiar with replacing such motors might help me out.

Inside the unit is the stamped information label, which shows the model and serial number of the Trane unit. On this label the only info about the motor is that it is PH-1, volts 115, amps 2.0, Hz 60, HP space blank. On the motor itself is a sticker with other specific motor info, and the motor is a Trane brand. This is a dual-shaft motor. The shaft extends 9" from both sides, upon which the squirrel cage fans are mounted.

To find a similar motor for replacement, I looked in a few of the motor supply source catalogs we have. We have a Johnstone HVAC Supply catalog, and a Grainger catalog, both of which seem to have an ample selection of motors. After much searching I can come close but just can't seem to pin down the specific motor needed.

In one of our other identical Trane units (exact same model), I opened the cover to look at the motor. However, it for some reason is a Magnetek brand motor instead of a Trane.
    The Magnetek motor has the following info on its sticker:
    Magnetek
    SER 16BA 61549P
    MOD DA3E206N#
    Stock #389
    115 V, 50/60 Hz, 1050 RPM, 1 PH
    Cont A.O.
    BK-HI 2.4A 1/15 HP
    YE-MED HI 1.6A 1/20 HP
    BU-MED 1.1A 1/30 HP
    RD-LOW .80A 1/50 HP
    WH-COM Rotation (right pointing arrow)

From the illustrations in the catalogs, I can determine the motor I need is a shaded pole type. It is a 5" diameter motor. Sure can't seem to find the right matching specs though. Close, but not close enough. I have the feeling what I need is probably there, but can't be sure.

With the information I have, what's the logical way to proceed to get the right motor ordered? thanks

Never mind. I found an AO Smith equivalent motor in Johnstone Supply catalog. The shaft on each side is actually 10 1/2" long, not 9" as I originally thought.

magnetek would be the actual maker of the motors any thing with a trane label or number is them wanting your business but it always leads to a dead end.johnstone is your best bet along with granger. a simple maintanence program on the motors will help them last oil them wipe the dust buil up and washing the squirrels if they get rounded wih dust takes the load off the motors... MARS MOTORS here is good reference site http://www.marsm-a.com/cgi-bin/lansa...01+webfunc+ML6
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

thanks Maxter for the tips and the link. I noticed the Trane brand motor sticker said it should be oiled every six months. But the Magnetek motor didn't mention it. Also, I didn't really see any definite oiling fill cups or caps on the Magnetek. Is that because maybe the Magnetek motor is the "permanantly lubricated" type?

if you have them give them a shot of oil during maint.you see the dust that builds in and around the motor when the filters get blocked up.if you pull one to clean hold it so the shafts are vertical and run some oil down the shaft to work its way into the bearing area...in place WD-40 with a extension tube will due also with a shot into the bearing area.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Red face magnetek motor replacement

I have the same motor and issue...unable to locate replacement for a Magnetek model DA3E206N, ser 10BA 49P stock 389 with dual shafts.. In addition I can't find the bearing supports for each of the shafts for a Carrier room weathermaker model 36t6-104n. Any suggestions? thanx kenb

Quote Originally Posted by kenbhvac View Post
    unable to locate replacement for a Magnetek model DA3E206N, ser 10BA 49P stock 389 with dual shafts

I found an AO Smith equivalent motor in Johnstone Supply catalog.