a little push was all it needed? (Bryant 355AAV exhaust fan assembly)

I have a Bryant evolution 355AAV furnace, about 14 months old. My PC is in my basement so I can hear the furnace when it runs. For a while (actually, probably back to last season), it used to occasionally make a clicky puttery noise. It made a lot of funny noises so I didn't worry about it. Recently this particular noise got louder so I pulled the cover, and the noise was coming from the exhaust fan. The exhaust fan assembly was mounted sort of loose (I think to absorb shock), on two screws with thick rubber pads between the unit and the furnace frame. I gave the assembly a small nudge inward and the noise went away, and stayed away (4 days now!).

I suspect what is really needed is that those 2 screws need like a 1/4 turn clockwise, and that the blower was coming a bit out of where it was supposed to be.

Anyone familiar with this design know what I'm talking about?

thanks
    /j

Exhaust fan? You mean draft motor for the furance,if so the wheel (fan) that blows the air is touching the housing,You freed it when you moved it

yup - that sounds like the right name for it. slightly tighten the screws if it happens again?
    /j

It should be all set. If you hear it rubbing you'll have to pull the motor an housing an loosin the set screw on the fan and move it to where it will be free Enjoy

hey thanks!
    /j

Quote Originally Posted by tag1956 View Post
    It should be all set. If you hear it rubbing you'll have to pull the motor an housing an loosin the set screw on the fan and move it to where it will be free Enjoy
    This is bad information to be recommending to a HO. Inexperienced people working on the exhaust portion of a gas furnace can get themselves into deep trouble. I'd recommend calling the installing company and having them come out and address the issue and not wait for the next incident. You paid good money for the furnace and its installation. Why try DIY repairs to it and ruin a good thing? What if there's a warranty issue? What is you break something during the DIY repair? You have a dealer who installed it, why not use them? And why no maintenance in 14 months? The unit should have had at least one, preferrably two maintenance visits since it was installed. Neglect it and you'll suffer all kinds of future issues. At 14 months, it's got the running time equivalent to approximately 35,000 miles on an automobile. Would you drive your car that far without maintenance? Then why drive your furnace that far?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I probably shouldn't reply, but I will.

If you look at my other posts on the forum, you'll see that I'm bit more handy than the normal HO, and that there are issues, in my case, with contacting the installing dealer. That being said, I DON'T feel qualified to muck about in the furnace, and was writing notes in advance of calling someone to get it fixed (past the 1-yr labor warranty, btw), when I lightly touched the blower just to convince myself (by feeling vibration) that it was the offending part, and it stopped making the noise! (5 days now). Surprised but hopeful, I touched nothing else and posted here.

On your other point - It's a gas FHA furnace, and I replace the filter annually and maintain the humidifier myself. Could you enlighten me as to what a 1-2x per year servicing would accomplish? Even the local dealer tells me that if I maintain my own filter there is little he can do - the system is self-contained and basically maintenance-free (nothing that requires regular oiling or anything like that). 8-}

/j