Heat strips on with heat and AC

My HVAC system is a heat pump. The air handler is a Payne and the heat pump is a Carrier. I was having trouble last summer with the AC not blowing very cool air, it turned out the heat strips were on. The AC tech who was working on it disconnected them saying we don't need them where we live. He was wrong.

Whenever my heat pump goes into defrost mode the unit blows cold air. I hooked the strips back up, but I would like to resolve why they come on with AC too. The tech only had to disconnect the white wire that runs from the pump to the handler to get them to shut off. He said that there must be a short somewhere. Before I run a new control wire between the two units I would like to confirm that the white wire is hooked up properly to the heat pump. I would also like to know if anything else could cause this.

Also after hooking back up the heat strips they come on even if the unit is not in defrost mode.

The Carrier has a model number 540JJ03U

My thermostat is a LUX 1500

At the thermostat Y & W are jumpered together and the white wire is not used.

At the air handler the the yellow from the thermostat and heat pump are tied together and the white wire from the heat pump is hooked up.

At the heat pump the yellow wire goes to Y and the white wire goes to W1 (W2 & W3 are unused). The from here the white wire goes to the blue wire on the defrost and the yellow goes to the black wire.

We can't give DIY advise here but it's time to call a real tech out to fix your problem......
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Disconnecting the heat strips was definitely the easy way out of the real problem. As Smokin68 said, site rules prohibit us from giving out DIY advice, and for your safety, I also suggest calling a qualified technician to properly fix this problem. It is liklely this is an easy fix. Who installed that thermostat?

Sorry about posting on a non-DIY site. The thermostat was there when I bought the house. I'm pretty sure I have found the issue none-the-less. There is a remote bulb thermostat on the heat pump that kicks the heat strips on when it is below 40 outside. It appears to be stuck on since it alows the 24v to pass through no matter the temperature.

The thing that gets me is Y (compressor) and W (typically heat strips for heat pump setups) being jumpered at the thermostat, but I'm not a pro and can't say for certain whether or not this is correct. How are your electric bills?

My electric bill is fine, and I found the thermostat manual online and it said they need to be jumpered for heat pump setups.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    The thing that gets me is Y (compressor) and W (typically heat strips for heat pump setups) being jumpered at the thermostat, but I'm not a pro and can't say for certain whether or not this is correct. How are your electric bills?
    Many stats don't energize the Y on a heat call. So the W and Y must be jumped for HP systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

The outside tstat is not the problem, it only allows the heaters to come on below the

Quote Originally Posted by RyanRoth View Post
    Sorry about posting on a non-DIY site. The thermostat was there when I bought the house. I'm pretty sure I have found the issue none-the-less. There is a remote bulb thermostat on the heat pump that kicks the heat strips on when it is below 40 outside. It appears to be stuck on since it alows the 24v to pass through no matter the temperature.
    temperature setting, it cannot bring them on, unless there is a call for resistance heating.

Without getting to specific, I would bet whatever normally turns the electric heat on is stuck in the closed circuit position.

heat

Why is there not a totaline t stat used?No jumping wires

sounds like an easy cheap repair. call a good company and get it fixed.
    DIY may cause more problems and end up costing you more or cause unsafe situations.

I already fixed it, thanks