Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trane XL16i and XV95-All heat pump?

We recently had a new Trane system installed. We've had a couple problems and I'm still not sure it's set up right.

The house is 1800 sq. ft. 2 story and we got a XL16i and XV95

The 1st problem was a defective heat pump. We ran emergency heat for a week while waiting for a new unit. The 2nd problem was the emergency heat wouldn't kick on. After both those problems were taken care of, I still think it's not 'quite right'.

When the heat pump is on the blower only blows at one speed. When we were on the emergency heat the blower would blow at the lower setting most of the time. Should it blow on the lower setting with the heat pump?

Also, the emergency heat never kicks in, I can force it now, when I couldn't before the repair; but the heat pump runs so often it seems that it would be more efficient for the gas to run some on the lower setting than the heat pump all the time on the higher setting.

Any input appreciated!
    Thanks

What kind of thermostsat are you using? When your furnace was in the emer. mode, it may have been on low stage or "low fire" the xv-95 is a two stage furnace and the blower is set up using dip switches to asign blower speeds to different functions such as heat pump and gas fired heating. Is the stat you are using have an outdoor cut out to allow back up to come on? We install alot of these combinations and we reccomend the honeywell pro 9000 for this type of a set up.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

milhouse

sounds like your dip switch settings located inside your furnace control cabinet are wrong. Your dealer should be called out to check this out. Unless you are experienced in this area, leave it to your dealer. You should have several blower speeds as system ramps up on both HP heating as well as backup gas furnace heating.

IMO

everything may be just fine, hard to tell without beingon site. the first stage of your hp should run with a 70% fan speed, second stage 100%. you probably have an outdoor therm switch that restricts the furnace at certain temps, so that may explain why it is only comes on in manual. as far as the thermostat in your home you will be best served staying with the trane brand thermostat as it is covered under the same warranty as your equipment and elligible for the 10 yr parts and labor as well. we put this warranty on nearly all our systems. HOWEVER this system does have multiple options as to how it wires up so there may be a concern there, but that is a matter for your dealer to check also thegas furnace operates in two stages and the fan runs at two speeds for each stage.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I have the Trane 802 thermostat.

My main concern is that when the heat pump is on should the the blower have two settings? I kept trying to explain this to the tech, but he said the heat pump will run at the lower setting but that doesn't affect the blower speed. It just seems logical to me that the blower should blow at the lower speed with the heat pump sometimes like it did when we were on emergency heat for a week.

So, when using the heat pump the blower should still have two speeds? If so, mine never does it.

Thanks again

yes it should. unless the first step of the compressor is able to maintain house temp. the programable tstat you have will not bring in the next stage of heat unless during the current stage the temperature actually drops. if however you are certain that the second step of the compressor is coming in then the fan should operate at low speed for first step and full speed for second.

I thought it was suppose to be the 803 stat for 2 stage heatpump, with gas back up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So maybe I have the wrong stat?

I do recall the last tech that came out said the energy usage for the blower is minimal, so I blowing at the higher setting was not an issue. But for some reason it still bothers me. Just the fact that it doesn't seem 'right', I guess.

You are suppose to have long run cycles with a 2 stage heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

milhouse

Trane stats are a POJ including the 803. For a system like yours, the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ is the best choice but if you just want the Trane, then the 803 is preferred over the 802. Either way, dealer should change it out.

IMO

The 802 and 803 are the same stat except 803 adds overcooling if humidity is over the setpoint. Both do dual fuel, neither will bring on backup, neither will stage the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 802 and 803 are the same stat except 803 adds overcooling if humidity is over the setpoint. Both do dual fuel, neither will bring on backup, neither will stage the backup.
    When you say neither will bring on backup what do you mean? The gas will never come on?

Tiger, the 802/ 803 are vision pro tstats with honeywell markings removed and replaced with trane logo. as far as the gas loonie is just saying that the stat doesn't stage auxilary but it still brings it on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast