Lifting rig suggestions

I am looking for a way to change a package unit that is inside a 3' high brick wall. I need something that can lift the old unit out and a new unit in, without hiring "grunt-labor". I was originally thinking about something like the Toro Dingo walk-behind loader, but I don't thing it will handle the 400-600 lb package units that I am looking to install. The load rate of the Dingo with forks is only 335 lb. Any suggestions on how to get over the wall?
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Crane.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Get a price from a rigger to set em in for you....... it will be a real small job for them.

Hire a truck crane, it will save you time and money in the long run vs. trying to rig something up and dropping or damaging a unit.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    -Albert Einstein

I've done something like this. Due to the cost and location a crane was impratical for a replacement unit a few year back so I got a few 10' X 6" or 8" and bolted them together. I also added 2" X 4" on the sides and built ramps. Then I placed my unit on a 4 wheeled dolly and scooted the old up, down and away and scooted the new one up, down and in place.

I still keep the ramps and use them to load heavy units into my van. I just used them to unload a 500 pound water source heat pump off my van.

But you need lots of room to set the ramps in place. And chain it all together in some way so the ramps can't move in any way. It's easy and not that expensive.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Any body ever try something like this?

http://ecmw.com/allterraingantrycrane.htm

I think I will call rental places in town and see if anyone has something similar.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Without seeing the wall or unit I can't really visualize the situation, but what about a engine lift or aka cherry picker?

Smile

Sorry to Say
    A job like the one you discribe should have the money in it required to either rent a boom truck($500.00 a day) or the labor cost neccesary to build a ramp system to get it up and over(wall)
    I think the boom truck is a quik answer
    We just rented a truck from united rental to erect 14 parking lot lights
    Safest most effecient way iof doing it
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

panama city beach (aka lower alabama or LA) FL
    i have i use to be a rigger in cleveland ohio we usde things like that alot when we would move small printing equipment and my cousin actually has that same gantry in his garage to lift car bodies off of frames .i would call a rental outfit like rcs or nations rent so you can get the right equipment to make the lifts safely and professionaly

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    Crane.
    ditto
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by cartercrew View Post
    I am looking for a way to change a package unit that is inside a 3' high brick wall. I need something that can lift the old unit out and a new unit in, without hiring "grunt-labor". Any suggestions on how to get over the wall?
    You should get a crane. Dosen't sound like you need a big one. Shop around. Call some sign guys or electricians that have a truck. Maybe a bricklayer with a Lull. It should pay for it's self in the time you will be messing with some other way.
    If you must bring the unit on a flat bed it could be 3 ft high or more back up to the wall and you'll only need a ramp on the easy side (down).
    For the old one just take it all apart in smaller peices and separate all the metal for when you scrap it .... cheapskate
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”