+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocating A/C unit.

Post Likes

Relocating A/C unit.

I'm at the point where it would be easier just to tell customers we are not interested when they call to get a quote to relocate the A/C unit. We have had two call in the last week and both said the price was way more than they were thinking.

They generally think it is a 2 hour job no matter how far or what is needed.

We could install a new A/C & coil in the same amount of time for a much better profit. Rant over.

Post Likes
    lol

Post Likes
    It took them 30 minutes to move the deep freezer to the basement last spring, how hard can it be?

Post Likes
    I usually charge a 'minimum' for getting the recovery equipment out and disconnecting their unit.
    Then additional for reconnecting, evacuating, recharging.
    I like to store the freon in the OD unit, but some of the service valves won't close completely and so when I collect their freon into a dedicated recovery tank, they can't call someone else to 'have the freon released' for recharging without additional cost of freon.
    Sorry if that is poorly stated.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    A wise friend told me one time that you can't be the best and the cheapest. I do everything for a reasonable rate, and do the best I can at it. I try to be professional and efficient. But my time, experience, and knowledge are worth what I am asking and if they do not want to pay it, then they can call someone else. I can go broke sitting in my chair watching gun smoke.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    A wise friend told me one time that you can't be the best and the cheapest. I do everything for a reasonable rate, and do the best I can at it. I try to be professional and efficient. But my time, experience, and knowledge are worth what I am asking and if they do not want to pay it, then they can call someone else. I can go broke sitting in my chair watching gun smoke.
    I had to learn this. I started doing some residential. I do not care for dealing with half of the homeowners.
    I was letting them beat me down on prices. Crying poor. Did a couple of jobs way too cheap. Ended up spending more on costs and helper pay than I made. That's when I decided to never again! I give them a fair price. These people cannot even imagine what our tools cost. Just remember you are dealing with most people that if they were in your shoes they would want premium rates.

I can go ride my mororcycle all day with a good looking girl on the back on a sunny day and lose money.

Post Likes
    Yeah I don't think the customers realizes that when they want to relocate a unit, it usually entails about as much labor or more than installing a new unit. Not to mention maybe having to increase the length of the line sets or even the size. All they see is moving a unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
    Yeah I don't think the customers realizes that when they want to relocate a unit, it usually entails about as much labor or more than installing a new unit. Not to mention maybe having to increase the length of the line sets or even the size. All they see is moving a unit.
    Exactly. Also, extending ducts is a hassle and can upset airflow delivery. Moving am AH is harder than a complete changeout.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Since the unit runs, couldn't you just pump it down?

Post Likes
    Probably but you still have to flow nitrogen, extend the power, control, and line set. Evacuate. Add some refrigerant. A bunch of work for "just moving a unit".

If it is a scroll compressor you are not supposed to use them for self recovery. Not really.

Post Likes
    Relocating can be more work especially when you're into wall brackets and a 7/8 lineset you now have to bend out a different side of the building. If you're quoting one of these jobs give them a normal install price minus the equipment cost.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevejoe11 View Post
    Relocating can be more work especially when you're into wall brackets and a 7/8 lineset you now have to bend out a different side of the building. If you're quoting one of these jobs give them a normal install price minus the equipment cost.
    exactly right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in