Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift Cards

Gift Cards

I never gave gift cards much thought but reading in the paper a report said:

One in five is never redeemed

Some have expiration dates on them

The stores want you to wait until after the holidays to redeem them as prices have gone up by then.

It's a 5 Billion dollar profit center

So, if you have one they say redeem it now.
    Tracers work both ways.

Everyone wants to make a profit

but no one can stand to see the other guy making one.

well a lot of them have expiration dates and monthly service charges ...........thing is , a lot of states dont allow those charges on gift cards. Always look at the rules in your state. If they try charging you and you know the law , that shuts them up

I like these gift cards...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
    but no one can stand to see the other guy making one.
    the problem is if someone give you a gift card they had to pay for that card, the company has the money. why should they be allowed to expire it? they cant in pennsylvania but they shouldnt be allowed anywhere

the card is paid for and should be good till you use it

Yes they have the money BUT
    Don't expect to walk around with it for two years and it collect interest . Someone gives you a gift card like a check, read it and then use it. It's not a savings bond either.

They set those things on current market values.

Just give me the money and I can buy what i want were i want.

Yes they have the money BUT
    Don't expect to walk around with it for two years and it collect interest . Someone gives you a gift card like a check, read it and then use it. It's not a savings bond either.

They set those things on current market values.
    You show your total ignorance on the subject perhaps you should inform your self on the subject before spouting off such inane comments that show a total lack of intellegant thought process coupled with a kneejerk response
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    You show your total ignorance on the subject perhaps you should inform your self on the subject before spouting off such inane comments that show a total lack of intellegant thought process coupled with a kneejerk response
    Thanks for nailing it down on how that was ignorant and the insult Why don't you share your knowledge on the subject? Perhaps you can explain the buying power of a gift card you held a year that came from a gasoline company (they sell them now also) or a company who's products contains copper verses using it back a year or so ago verses now. A gift card is nothing but a fixed debit card. The value of it goes up or down with the economy. And everyone knows the direction the cost of products is going but do enlighten me on your economist skills.

ok great lets use the gas card as an example

now lets say you are very generous this year and send me a $50 gift card and i use it today for 17 gallons of gas all is well

but lets assume i lose it in my truck for a year (not really that unlikely) and i go to that gas station in a year and now its only good for 10 gallons of gas
    there is no problem there
    but if they expire it they took your money and gave you nothing for it

totally different with a check, because if i dont cash your check there was no money exchanged
    you are not out and none except you got the money

so it really is apples and oranges

Well, from the consumers prospective you lost 7 gallons of gas. A check is a promise to pay and has a fixed amount. If the account was closed then you're screwed. The gift card as in the case of the gas can fluctuated greatly.

You also have to be careful with gift cards because of the scam that was going on. People would write down the #'s from the back and keep trying to use them online. Once they were purchased and activated, the scammer would try it and it would work. Now you are out whatever amount the gift card was for. I always buy mine from behind the counter now. Just a tip.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Well, from the consumers prospective you lost 7 gallons of gas. A check is a promise to pay and has a fixed amount. If the account was closed then you're screwed. The gift card as in the case of the gas can fluctuated greatly.
    I'm not following your thought process here.

How is someone handing you a gift card for $50.00 today, and you waiting to spend it until next year any different from someone handing you $50.00 cash that you stick in your sock drawer for a year and then decide to use it for gas?

Your second post here indicated that companies set gift card pricing on current market values. This makes no sense to me. A gift card is money, why would the store care what the value of a dollar is a year from now?......A buck is still a buck.

What am I not understanding?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast