Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zone system question

A customer has asked if I could install a zone system in the house they are building. Most of my experence with zone systems have been with the Carrier CCN networks in large commercial buildings and haven't done any residential.
    Two questions:
    Would I have the necessary experience to do this and if so what system would you recomend.
    From what I have been told this will be a stand alone system (no variable speed blower)

Thanks, Chuck

zone

Are you designing the ductwork for existing equipment or is the ductwork already there? A variable speed system would be best for zoning. If the equipment isn't set yet I would ues the Carrier Infinity system.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If there's no rush and you are willing to spend sometime to gain the knowledge,I'd say you can handle it.

Arzel and Jaskson have a lot of info available,plus use this site for info..

zone

the Carier Infinity system eliminates the need for a bypass damper so you don't loose all that efficiency.

quallified?

I think if you have done comercial zoning layout and instalation you should be able to handle res, but you would be the one to determine that.

Trane has an excellent system called the "comfort link" it is very versital and can handle up to eight zones when used with a dual capacity outdoor unit and a variable speed indoor unit. Also works with dual fuel applications as well. Go with a variable speed unit, if you can convince the home owner to buy the upgrade. If not have them sign a waiver saying you offered it and they chose not to install the option. You are the professional. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-B View Post
    the Carier Infinity system eliminates the need for a bypass damper so you don't loose all that efficiency.

you do need a bypass damper>

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckg222 View Post
    A customer has asked if I could install a zone system in the house they are building. Most of my experence with zone systems have been with the Carrier CCN networks in large commercial buildings and haven't done any residential.
    Two questions:
    Would I have the necessary experience to do this and if so what system would you recomend.
    From what I have been told this will be a stand alone system (no variable speed blower)

Thanks, Chuck

yes, you can just make sure you install a bypass damper .....2 t-stat going to the zoning board ....<automatic damper>

Pretty much the info I was looking for, looks like a variable speed is a must.
    If they don't go for it I think I'll turn it down.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckg222 View Post
    Pretty much the info I was looking for, looks like a variable speed is a must.
    If they don't go for it I think I'll turn it down.

Thanks,
    Chuck

We have a lot of older zoning systems that are not VS ,I'm not sure why some think VS is a must.

In VS can be an issue with a barometic bypass,and it will "ramp up" when a zone control damper closes ,still trying to deliver the full cfms.Now VS with an intergated control system,like Infinity,is the best zoning we have found.

I have a Trane system with a variable speed furnace that provides variable CFM according to the zones open and stage of the compressor. I don't have a barometric bypass and it works fine. I think it depends on the combination of equipment that is used.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacalex View Post
    you do need a bypass damper>
    No bypass with infinity zoning. None. Never.

Installing a bypass with infinity zoning will screw the logic of the zone controller.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Wink

Most of the time a properly sized zoning system will not require a bypass if the duct is sized properly AND a load calc has been done to determine the loss/gain in each zone. I have never used a bypass duct. After testing in our shop we felt that it added stress to the compressor and or heat exchanger by adding to the delta t in heating or lowering the coil temp in cooling. If a zoning system is designed from the ground up, the use of dual capacity compressors and modulating gas valves (if gas furnace is used as the air handler) zoning will increase comfort AND energy savings. Bypass ducts are usually a band aid for a zoning retrofit onto a duct system that was not sized for zoning. There are two zoning systems that (and probably more) allow the use of dual capacity equipment to modulate airflow and capacity, INTELLEZONE by Waterfurnace, COMFORT LINK by Trane. Air flow and capacity is controlled by the zone load percentages therefore operation is quiet and operating costs are lowered as the equipment is using less energy (on first stage).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast