Power Vent Water Heater

I was looking at a Rheem Power Vent water heater as a replacement for my old draft hood model. How is the reliability and maint. on the power vent units (HSI and Blower).

They use an HSI for ignition, how problematic are the HSI's on this type of unit?

I'd also like to know how noisy they are when running.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankt View Post
    I was looking at a Rheem Power Vent water heater as a replacement for my old draft hood model. How is the reliability and maint. on the power vent units (HSI and Blower).
    HSI needs to be replaced every once in a while. Highly recommend annual service on any water heater. A good tech can usually catch the HSI when the cold resistance increases, saves a service call.

They use an HSI for ignition, how problematic are the HSI's on this type of unit?
    See above.

I'd also like to know how noisy they are when running.
    Noise is a function of personal taste. There is a noise associated with the unit but unless it's right under you favorite sitting place, I don't think it's bothersome. The cost a little more, have some maintenance associated with them but they're somewhat more efficient than a hooded appliance as there's an HSI and no stand-by losses up the chimney. Matter of choice methinks.

Thanks
    You're welcome.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I just recently installed a power vent Water heater and so far so good and no problems to date. As far as the noise goes I can not hear the unit running when the tank calls for heat up stair at all, even late at nite when everyone is sleeping and its just me that is up and about. The only time I hear the blower unit run is when I am right there in the same room as the water tank otherwise it run's very quiet, as I too was a bit skeptical about the noise, but it was a easy install and the noise has not been a problem. I would reconmend this type of unit provided it is going to be installed in a remote location such as a basement or garage.

I hate them.

The ones I've been around are nosy, and when I stay at my parent's house, I hear it run any time I'm down in the family room.

What I don't care abotu the if the power has gone out, you have no hot water at all..

We've had ours for about 2 months. I can only hear it if I'm in the basement(unfinished) or outside. Definately a lot quieter than our furnace is outside. AS far as mayguy's comment. Electric water heater, tankless, any newer nat'l gas. All won't work in a power outage unless you have an old tank with a standing pilot. I 've lived in my house for 12 1/2 years and only had one or two power outages that lasted more than an hour or two. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by robc in WI View Post
    We've had ours for about 2 months. I can only hear it if I'm in the basement(unfinished) or outside. Definately a lot quieter than our furnace is outside. AS far as mayguy's comment. Electric water heater, tankless, any newer nat'l gas. All won't work in a power outage unless you have an old tank with a standing pilot. I 've lived in my house for 12 1/2 years and only had one or two power outages that lasted more than an hour or two. Not a big deal.
    Just wait a few more years

I put a Rheem powervent in 6 to 7 years ago never skipped a beat. Yes they are loader than a natural draft. I changed it to a Rinnai unit in march and cut my gas usage in half. Same noise level when running but I never run out of hot water and it never starts up when we are sleeping....