Hmm Replacing A/C Unit

I am looking to replace a 20 yr. old Bryant 3.5 ton unit. I am being told by
    some to stay away from a Trane Unit and go with a York Affinity, Latitude
    or possibly an Armstrong unit. Also its been suggested to go with a R22 unit instead of a R410A unit. I recently had my Furnace replaced (Thermopride
    Oil Burning Furnace).
    What is the best way to go? R22 or R410A, and which Manufacture?
    Thank you

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Check herefor choice of refrigerant:

www.410a.com

As for Brand/Model,I like the Carrier Infinity,two stge heat and two stage cool.Others have there favorites as well.Best to check the features and benefits,and decide for yourself,with the help of your local contractor.

These questions are stemming from info and responses from 5 different
    Local Contractors. 1 - Carrier Contractor, 1-Trane, 2-York and 1 York/Armstong. 3 out of 5 suggest R22.
    Maybe I will get the same diverse responses in this forum also.
    I was just hoping to get a more diffinitive answer here.
    Any input is always appreciated.

I've never dealt with a lot of York's or Armstrong's, so don't know a lot about those. I do know that there aren't many sold in our area, for whatever reason, you can deduce what you want. IMO Trane is probably the best of the lot. They also usually cost more for a reason. Carrier is also a very good unit. Ask them why they say to shy away from Trane and ask them why they don't like 410. Most are afraid of it and don't want to get with the curve and continue learning. I would also shy away from those guys. If you aren't learning in this industry, you are falling behind. The technology is advancing to keep up with federal gov't guidelines for minimum efficiencies. These guys will be left behind, the old days are gone, accept it and move forward. I embrace new things and consider it a challenge to overcome. I'll try anything twice.

I would go with Trane or York. It might be wise to go with r-410 at this time as r-22 prices are starting to rise.

Whichever brand or type of refrigerant that you decide on, make sure you get the model numbers of both the condenser (outside unit) as well as the evaporator coil. I would not accept any quote from a contractor that does not list the specific model numbers.

Once you have the model numbers, you can verify system performance (SEER/EER) as well as cooling btus. You would be surprised how many condenser/coil combinations do not meet the manufacturers statements because they are used in an existing furnace air handler.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Check herefor choice of refrigerant:

www.410a.com

As for Brand/Model,I like the Carrier Infinity,two stge heat and two stage cool.Others have there favorites as well.Best to check the features and benefits,and decide for yourself,with the help of your local contractor.
    It's not really a good idea to choose a refrigerant based off of a R410a site praising R410a and degrading R-22. They say R410a is the future, and it may be. Of course R-22 systems will stop being manufactured, but R-22 should be plentiful for quite some time.

gary gives good advice. With Trane especially but can happen with any brand, you can't get above 13 with existing furnace. Even with matched Trane variable speed furnaces, there can be sizes that you still can't.

I'd go with a premium model from about any brand (that rules out the Latitude, them are far from premium ). As for which juice, hopefully the system you buy won't have a leak and it won't matter which refrigerant you go with. Some brands have a quality pledge that replaces the outdoor unit if the comp dies. If you go that route, be sure to get a 410 machine since that's all that will be made in 2 years. Right now, R410a costs are dropping and R22 prices are going way up and that trend will continue.

It's just plain ingnorant and unprofessional for anyone to bad mouth the competitors equipment. If the people you're dealing with can't tell you enough positive things about their company to convince you to go with them, then the name on the equipment should not be the determining factor. Ask any manufacaturer and they'll tell you that no matter how well they make the equipment, someone will screw it up in the field! If it isn't installed properly, your investment will suffer. Put in the simplest, cheapest product out there and if properly installed AND maintained, it will most likely give you the same longevity as the most expensive. But there are differences. The big names bring more comfort to the table. Better efficiencies. Better technical assistance. As the contractors who they turn to for technical assistance if they need it from the manufacturer. Is there just one person who works for the local distributor or is there an area rep backed by an 800 phone number where you can get tech service 24/7? That tells you a lot about the equipment you're purchasing and the dedication of the manufacturer to the end user (you.)

As for 410A vs. R-22, those who are still pushing R-22 without a good, solid reason are just afraid of R-410A. The Carrier/Bryant people are more likely than anyone to be well experienced with R-410A because United Technologies (the parent of them) has had a line of R-410A equipment for over 10-years. But yes, you can still find some of those dealers who are also afraid of "Puron".

So I recommend selecting your installer based on whether he did a real Manual 'J' load calc. Whether he inspected your duct system and made any suggestions about improvements needed, sealing perhaps. Sized the equipment based on the load calcs and specificed equipment based on ARI matched equipment. It might not be germain to your state but in Florida now it's illegal to put in mis-matched equipment. Need I say more?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    It's not really a good idea to choose a refrigerant based off of a R410a site praising R410a and degrading R-22. They say R410a is the future, and it may be. Of course R-22 systems will stop being manufactured, but R-22 should be plentiful for quite some time.
    Each to his own.

You'll likely see all the info on that site is accurate ,time will tell,care to wager??

IMHO,Puron/R410a is the best choice.

I'd check out the rheem system, heat pump, variable speed. Professional installer, new manual J, installed by manual d specs. recheck all ducting for leaks. Better the install the more confortable the customer. Have a great year!!

I would be concerned in two areas. parts and service. For a standard 13 unit, does the unit have propriatory pc boards. If it does, everybody has to buy parts from the brand as opposed to units that use generic parts. For generic parts, they can go to the nearest wholesaler if the part is not on the truck. Brand specific parts are harder to get and cost more.

My other concern is service. I would like to beleive that all techs go the extra mile to make a system clean and tight, but they don't. R410 requires better work practices. R22 systems are more forgiving. If your area has licensing and the company you deal with has a quality assurance program, your odds improve slightly.

I just put a r22 unit, builders special, into mom's house because I know most any tech who shows up has a good chance to repair it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Each to his own.

You'll likely see all the info on that site is accurate ,time will tell,care to wager??

IMHO,Puron/R410a is the best choice.
    I'm not arguing with that. That's what I'd put in my house. It's just the principle.