Hybrid View

Benncools "Chowda"

Thanx Jerry for the chowder recipe and advice. It was the best damn soup I've ever made. Only bummer was there were no leftovers. I think folks even licked the pot. Heres the recipe for the rest of you.

This makes a lot for a picnic etc.

New England Clam Chowder

By Jerry Albert aka: Benncool

4- cans Snows chopped clams

2 – bottles Snows clam juice

1- pound box of salted cod fish.

5- pounds potatoes

3-4 onions

1- quart of half & half

1- print of heavy cream.

Peel, wash and cut into cubes the potatoes. Put into a large soup pot. Chop up any large pieces of the chopped clams. Put into the pot, juice and all from the cans. Add the bottles clam juice. Chop up onions and put them in there. Heat slowly.

Cod fish is very salty. You have to wash it very well. Let soak for 10 minutes wash again. You should do this 3 or 4 times. Then cube up the cod fish and add it to the pot. Always keep a half to ¾ of an inch of liquid on top of the potatoes even if you have to add a little water.

Let the mixture in the pot heat until the potatoes are cooked. Never let the soup boil. Stir often. (Usually I do all of this the night before we are ready to eat the chowder.) Let every thing cool down. Refrigerating over night is best.

In the morning stir in the half & half and the heavy cream while every thing is still cool. Bring back up to temperature before serving. Can be thicken a little bit with Wondra if necessary. *** Some potatoes are starchier than others

Salt and pepper to taste. Some folks like a little dab of Sherry on top of their individual cups or bowls of chowder.

My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Forget the Sherry give me a Beer in a glass, Just joking I love Clam Chowder and this one sounds goooooood.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I had the pleasure of sampling several bowls of Benncool's chowda in Vermont 2 years ago....the best I've ever had.

Just working on a batch right now for tomorrow.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

The Broncos/Colts is a monster of a game this Sunday!!! I've been looking for a reason to cook up a big fat batch of Holiday Chowda! So were having a holiday open house for my wife and her friends, men can go to the basement and drink beer and watch football all day long. Just perfect!!!

You all are invited! Show up round 11ish. Also making Bonyacalda! Yummy!!!!
    Last edited by spotts; 12-08-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Speaking of clams. I used to belong to Cosco and they sold the best minced clams I've found as they were larger than I could find in the stores. Big chunks. Had to buy 2 quarts as that's how they were packaged but I'd use a quart for each cooking anyway.
    Snows are also very good. Gortons (sp) are a rip I think.
    Benn, do you use whole or minced clams?
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Speaking of clams. I used to belong to Cosco and they sold the best minced clams I've found as they were larger than I could find in the stores. Big chunks. Had to buy 2 quarts as that's how they were packaged but I'd use a quart for each cooking anyway.
    Snows are also very good. Gortons (sp) are a rip I think.
    Benn, do you use whole or minced clams?

"THEE" best chowder is made with fresh little necks-steamed. Then you use the broth that you steamed them in instead of the bottle clam juice.

When I have to use the canned clams I used the whole or chopped clams. Never the minced. You want the clam pieces to be around 3/8" in. in size. Same with the cod.

It is just more appetitising to see some nice pieces of clam or cod floating around in the soup.