Thread: Boiler oil filter

Post Likes

Boiler oil filter

I have a westwood filter that uses felt cartridges. I have seen star shaped cartridges that can fit in my filter unit (either paper or synthetic), and then I have seen spin ons like Garber.

Is one better than the other and why?

Post Likes

I don't like Garber filters!

The star shaped felt filter cartridges are the way to go. They remove water and filter great. Their biggest advantage is the miniscule cost of them compared to the expensive Garber units. The replaceable cartridges also let you see the condition of the fuel, the Garber spin-ons don't let you see that.

Post Likes
    Makes sense. I thought the spin-on filters will filter better, plus you have the guage that shows when you NEED to change the filter, which clogging and unnecessary filter changes. Spin and grin right?

Post Likes
    LOL....spin and grin?.....more like spin and wince!! Those fancy spin-ons are 7 times more expensive and don't filter any better. The micron rating of each are equivalent. That nice gauge can be added to any system too, just tee into the existing feed line and add a vacuum gauge. I actually have a Garber on my system, but I'm in the process of finding an automotive oil filter that will be equivalent in filtering (but loads cheaper $$), but of course it won't have the Garber Guy Logo on the outside!!

Post Likes
    I like that guy......looks sorta like John Force ... lol

Post Likes
    Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    The Gaber spin-on is the better choice. And if you want to see the condition of the fuel, upgrade to a Tigerloop Ultra as pictured in my avatar.

Post Likes
    i like the garber ..

and you can replace it with a standard Wix deisel filter

Post Likes
    I like the Garber too, except when some idiot uses a wrench to tighten the new filter cartridge in place. Can't read I guess!!! However, we use all kinds of filter elements, depending on what is already installed. I cut my oil teeth on string oil filters, the old B-4 model and we never had undo pump or nozzle failures. I don't object to the addtional protection from the newer, more dense filter elements but sometimes I think there's a little overkill involved just to sell a higher priced product. Where there's a good reason, I'm all for it. I just never really saw the reason for the concern for better filtration.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    ifn' ya be runnin a .45 ....you'll want it ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in