+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ventfree fireplace gas smell

Post Likes

ventfree fireplace gas smell

this is a lowes vent free LP fireplace, and I purchased it a month ago.

apparently the back burner doesn’t light up every time... when its calling for heat the front burner lights up but the back doesn’t light up right away, it takes a min or so... seems like the flame doesn’t wanna travel all the way in the back and gas escapes, obviously lets the propane in the house… I was just wondering if anyone has an idea why this happens. The regulator might be going bad?

I attached a picture that shows the burner not being lit up.

btw I also have a LP furnace in the house that its used as back up and a stove that’s used for cooking…

Merry Christmas!!

Post Likes
    Those flames don't look good. You may have a pressure problem. Log placement could also be an issue.

Propane is a heavier than air gas and will collect in a low area and await a source of ignition. It will ignite without warning and can cause burns, fire and explosion !!!!

Call a professional before you have a bad start to the new year.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    BTW, most manufacturers don't allow these as a source of heat.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    Those flames don't look good. You may have a pressure problem. Log placement could also be an issue.

Propane is a heavier than air gas and will collect in a low area and await a source of ignition. It will ignite without warning and can cause burns, fire and explosion !!!!

Call a professional before you have a bad start to the new year.

flames dont look good? whys that?? i check the manual and it should be between 3-6"...

pressure problem??? I checked the output pressure of the outside regulator and it was around 12 inH2O... turned the fireplace and dropped slightly...
    then i raised the pressure up to 13.5 inH2O.... turned the fireplace and the furnace and pressure dropped slightly, around 13.25...

log placement??? the logs are installed acording to the manual...

btw i work in a liquified natural gas plant so thanks for the propane advice but that wasnt what i was asking...

thank you for your help anyway...
    Last edited by countvlad; 12-26-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Post Likes
    uploaded 3 new better pictures....

Post Likes
    I didn't mean to step upon your toes. In this forum, you never know who is on the other end of the conversation and how much they know.

The flames look a little too dark in your pictures. Knowing the pressure coming into the gas valve is a good start, but you also need to know what is coming out of the valve and into the burner. There is much more to vent free log sets than most people think there is. If you get something wrong, bad things can happen. Call the mfg, they should be able to answer your questions.

Post Likes
    Is that soot on the upper part of the back and sides of the inside of the firebox?

Post Likes

Cool

Vlad, your terminology is a little confusing. Normally, you have inlet and manifold gas pressures--not outside and inside. Your inlet pressure for LP should be btw 11-14 wci. Your manifold pressure, which is the pressure going to the burners is stated on the rating plate and for LP is usually 10.0 wci max. Can you explain what it is you are adjusting pressures on?

Since you sound a little unsure of yourself as a ventfree fireplace technician, I highly recommend you stop tinkering and hire a tech experienced and qualified to work on this unit.

If you are judging flame just by their height, you are in for trouble.

As for the rear burner not lighting, there are numerous things that could be causing this. Things from a blockage at the valve inlet to a loose connection on the burner tube to blocked crossover ports or a blocked venturi.

You make a good case why you should refrain from buying fireplaces from a mass merchant but rather buying from a hearth retailer. That way you have somewhere to turn to for help, unlike with mass merchants. Also, specialty retailers tend to sell higher quality brands.

Hearthman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Vlad, your terminology is a little confusing. Normally, you have inlet and manifold gas pressures--not outside and inside. Your inlet pressure for LP should be btw 11-14 wci. Your manifold pressure, which is the pressure going to the burners is stated on the rating plate and for LP is usually 10.0 wci max. Can you explain what it is you are adjusting pressures on?

Since you sound a little unsure of yourself as a ventfree fireplace technician, I highly recommend you stop tinkering and hire a tech experienced and qualified to work on this unit.

If you are judging flame just by their height, you are in for trouble.

As for the rear burner not lighting, there are numerous things that could be causing this. Things from a blockage at the valve inlet to a loose connection on the burner tube to blocked crossover ports or a blocked venturi.

You make a good case why you should refrain from buying fireplaces from a mass merchant but rather buying from a hearth retailer. That way you have somewhere to turn to for help, unlike with mass merchants. Also, specialty retailers tend to sell higher quality brands.

Hearthman
    I did not check the manifold pressures...which should be 8"... i dont know and i dont think i can check that.. what ive checked and adjusted the propane tanks outlet pressure regulator.

im not judjing anything by the flames...i dont know about you but sometimes even the flames might tell you things that might help you in troubleshoting....

well i payed a low price for a low end product...i wasnt looking for anything special... i appreciate the help.if anyone can specificaly answer my question i would apreciated....

Post Likes
    Is that soot on the upper part of the back and sides of the inside of the firebox?
    thats not soot....

Post Likes
    I didn't mean to step upon your toes. In this forum, you never know who is on the other end of the conversation and how much they know.

The flames look a little too dark in your pictures. Knowing the pressure coming into the gas valve is a good start, but you also need to know what is coming out of the valve and into the burner. There is much more to vent free log sets than most people think there is. If you get something wrong, bad things can happen. Call the mfg, they should be able to answer your questions.
    i appologize for being defensive... thank you for your help

Post Likes

Thumbs down

"did not check the manifold pressures...which should be 8"... i dont know and i dont think i can check that.. what ive checked and adjusted the propane tanks outlet pressure regulator."

If you don't know what you are doing, then please stop and let a pro work on it before you get hurt or hurt someone else. This is not a DIY site and you obviously do not know what you are doing with this fireplace, no offense.

Hearthman

Post Likes
    "did not check the manifold pressures...which should be 8"... i dont know and i dont think i can check that.. what ive checked and adjusted the propane tanks outlet pressure regulator."

If you don't know what you are doing, then please stop and let a pro work on it before you get hurt or hurt someone else. This is not a DIY site and you obviously do not know what you are doing with this fireplace, no offense.

Hearthman
    no offense but this is not rocket science... i'm just gonna stop.. nothing else to say... thanks anyway for your help

Post Likes

Hearthman

Hearthman --- I don't think the picture you have with your posts is quite adequate for posts discussing the risks of equipment.

In fact, you probably need three or four pictures. The first could be of a nice fire like the one you have. The second would show the fire flashing over into the room. The third would show the room engulfed and the fourth the whole house engulfed. An optional fifth could be of the charred timbers the next day.

I continue to be amazed at the risks people take with unvented equipment. Of course, fire isn't the major problem there.

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
    Hearthman --- I don't think the picture you have with your posts is quite adequate for posts discussing the risks of equipment.

In fact, you probably need three or four pictures. The first could be of a nice fire like the one you have. The second would show the fire flashing over into the room. The third would show the room engulfed and the fourth the whole house engulfed. An optional fifth could be of the charred timbers the next day.

I continue to be amazed at the risks people take with unvented equipment. Of course, fire isn't the major problem there.

Seattle Pioneer
    look fellowes... im done here, im not getting any answers... thanks for your help

Post Likes

Exclamation Pogo was right

How's this avatar, SP?

Its funny how the "experts" who work in some semi-related field come here asking us how to fix things over the Internet, demonstrate their lack of understanding in the equipment, codes, standards, and troubleshooting then get mad at us when we cannot provide DIY advice, which is against site rules anyway.

Vlad, if you understood servicing these units, you would not be tampering with the gas pressures set at the second stage regulator by the propane supplier. By tampering with those regulators, you just took on that liability. Other statements you have made or questions asked make it pretty clear you are not a technician who knows what he is doing. Therefore, you are putting yourself and others at risk. Just because you work around gas does not magically make you a qualified service technician. I work on hearth appliances but have the sense not to work on furnaces, boilers, or water heaters. I am not a licensed HVAC tech and have not taken training to work on these appliances. I study them so I have a better speaking knowledge and can often make referrals for an HVAC tech where I would not have been able to in years past. A man has to know his limitations. The heath industry has been one that seems to draw out a primal instinct in some people, mostly men, who think they can tinker and fix anything with just a little advice even though they never took professional training, worked on this equipment before or hold any certifications. The lucky ones get by with maybe some embarrassed looks or a few singed eyebrows. The others end up in rooms with cranky people wearing suites and carrying brief cases.

If I was investigating your case here, I have proof documented online that you tampered with the first and second stage regulators and the appliance itself with no real idea what you were doing. You are putting at risk anyone who enters this building now. Should something go wrong and you failed to contract with a qualified technician to service it, you could potentially be found not only liable for the damages but, in the case with severe injury or death, guilty of gross negligence and reckless endangerment. So if it seems like we'r copping an attittude, I ask you to re-read this and think, a) you are not qualified to work on this appliance, b) you should shut it off until a qualified technician repairs it, and c) the site rules on this forum prohibit us from telling you how to fix it. Please lose the attitude and act responsibly.

Vald, you are getting answers--you just don't like them.

"we have met the enemy and he is us"-Pogo

Hearthman

Post Likes
    Hearthman---

Heh, heh! Yes, that photo plus your motto pretty much says it all.

Post Likes
    Interesting that i found this post. I also purchased the same fireplace from Lowes and have the same problem. Unit has a 3/8 inlet on unit. the installer installed a 3/8 line about 4' long from cut-off valve to unit inlet. Burner half lit. Installed a new regulator and am getting 14"wc. Still not working. Called manufactorer they said I need a 1/2" line to units 3/8 inlet. Had gas guy come back and do this. Still not working. Gas guy cleaned the burner orifices just in case there was a blockage. Same problem. Called manufactorer again, they say they have no idea why this is happening, and a supervisor will call me back. After two weeks no call. Called again and was told the same thing one week later, still no call. During this time I found if I remove the #4 log (left side short log) it lightes every time. Customer service said to remove the log. Instructions say do not operate wiithout all logs in place. I now have about $650.00 in a $300.00 fireplace. Can't use it, won't use it. Apparently defective. #4 log when in place has good clearance of burner. Piece of junk and still waiting for call and who is going to pay the bill for all this.

Post Likes

Question

Can you provide the make and model number?

Hearthman

Post Likes
    Style selections
    mod#SSID280T
    ser#4038825
    customer service- Continental appliance inc
    Smyrna GA
    sold thru Lowes nationwide
    odd that lowes does not show these units on their websight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in