+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hose gaskets

Post Likes
    I Found a really good tool at a hobby shop that has a curved blade on one side and a hook on the other for removing those old gaskets. Yellow jacket replacements seem to work the best for me also.

Post Likes
    I have about 100 hoses to change gaskets in. I'm not real keen on getting raped at the supply house. Does Home Depot carry this in bulk or am I headed to EBay?
    "Mess with the best...Die like the rest!!!"

Post Likes
    I keep a pack of gaskets and another of cores in my service van... I'm too cheap to buy new hoses so I had to master the art of gasket exchange...

Post Likes
    I replaced a gasket last week and now can't screw the hose on to a fitting. Guess I better DONC.

Post Likes
    I bought them still using - have nothing to say bad....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xero328 View Post
    I have about 100 hoses to change gaskets in. I'm not real keen on getting raped at the supply house. Does Home Depot carry this in bulk or am I headed to EBay?
    Ha Ha Ha ha
    I needed a good Sat Morn Laugh
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by epacertified View Post
    Ha Ha Ha ha
    I needed a good Sat Morn Laugh
    Tell you what...I counted my hoses days ago. 119 to go through. Bought 50 gaskets at a supply house (used my coupons for $ off after a training class,) and got about 40 of the lowloss o rings at an indie plumbing supplier who charged me about a nickel apiece for all he had and they MATCH so they will work. I now need a day off. Two installs this week, and it is DECEMBER in FLORIDA. GEEZ.
    "Mess with the best...Die like the rest!!!"

8. Likes Ernest Crossman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I used to replace the gaskets when they leaked or looked like they might leak. Then I was working on a roof when it rained on me while I was charging a unit (about 1978 or so). I saw all kinds of bubbles on the sides of my hoses where they were laying in a puddle. I bought new hoses the next time I was at the supply house. But now I put bubble leak detector on a hose before I spend the time to change the gaskets. Most of the time the hose is leaking when the gaskets need to be changed.

I have noticed the gaskets seem to be harder and harder to change. Maybe it is the gaskets. But it might be me getting older, worse eye sight, less patient and just don't want to screw with them anymore. I don't change too many hose gaskets now days.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    I used to replace the gaskets when they leaked or looked like they might leak. Then I was working on a roof when it rained on me while I was charging a unit (about 1978 or so). I saw all kinds of bubbles on the sides of my hoses where they were laying in a puddle. I bought new hoses the next time I was at the supply house. But now I put bubble leak detector on a hose before I spend the time to change the gaskets. Most of the time the hose is leaking when the gaskets need to be changed.

I have noticed the gaskets seem to be harder and harder to change. Maybe it is the gaskets. But it might be me getting older, worse eye sight, less patient and just don't want to screw with them anymore. I don't change too many hose gaskets now days.
    +1

Post Likes
    Yellow Jacket makes a hose gasket remover now. It looks exactly like the pick I use to remove my gaskets, it just looks nicer and says yellow jacket on it. Ive had pretty decent luck changing gaskets. Ive also had a few instances that left me swearing at the hoses, but they were changed..

Post Likes
    Figured I would revive this thread with my 2 cents... I've learned that I don't need to replace my gaskets nearly as often if I keep them just a little loose when not in use. Sure, occasionally a hose falls off, but I'm not replacing gaskets every 3 months anymore so I'll happily deal with it. Am I the only one here that has no problems with replacing gaskets in yj hoses? Either 1/2", 3/8" or 1/4". Sure its a bear getting the original gasket out, but I've never had a hose leak after changing gaskets. Also, my 3/8 hoses all take standard gaskets. They appear tapered after a while if you keep them tight all the time. The easiest way I've found to get the larger diameter hose gaskets to seat is to sit them where they should go, then I slowly thread the hose onto the gauge or port that it fits. It takes just a minute or so, but works like a charm.

Post Likes
    For the gauge end of the hose, take out the 45 * male adapter and use a JIC # 2, Same but 37 * makes a better longer lasting seal. Not so much squish, more flare.
    Also get the teflon version of the tubular seal. Refco has them. Sigler too, has a brand, I forget the name.
    This is all for the gauge end of the hose.
    The service end, just use the self sealing ones. Note here they should vent the system before they seal the outer ring. That way air and moisture will not be caught and ingested into yo hoses. Just linger a moment to purge a little.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xero328 View Post
    Gosh how old are they? Throw out those older than 5 years. They give you a sticker shock, but they're not expensive at all for what you get out of them. You have to get slapped across the face hard with a hose and you begin to see why. Had one pop out at the crimp on the end. That hurt. Rubber deteriorates with age, period. It's like being cheap and using tires past their time and wrecking your car. Tires go bad whether you have tread left or not.

15. Likes Ernest Crossman liked this post.
    Post Likes

Hose gaskets

Well you can tell if hoses are in really bad shape. Sun is what cracks them and oil is what makes them weak. I use them maybe 5/8 of the time here. I tell ya what annoys me more is the o rings in quick connects. You don't lose nearly as much refrigerant when you use them. It's like after so long they start leaking though. I like to use really short hoses for refrigeration. And it's nice to have a half inch set for recovery and pulling a vacuum. I am still in the trade but I do maintenance for a club owner and just a bit of installing and repair for 2-3 people I know. I have recently had to replace a few tools I sold. I get annoyed when I can't get three different color hoses. Don't need a schrader core press on the yellow hose. ⚡️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in