Criterion II Ignition Problems

I have been having problems with my Criterion II ignighting. Here is a list of events that usually happens but not always.

Furnace gets signal from thermostat for heat and the small fan starts

the ignitor will start to glow then you can here the gas valve open and the chamber where the ignitor is will lite but not the other 4 chambers.

This is when the gas will shut off after a few seconds and the system will continue the cycle again until either it will light or go into lock out mode.

This is happening very random. Some days it works everytime without problems and other days it has issues all day long.

I was told by the Rheem service tech who was here installing my central air this summer that it was the flame sensor and it needed cleaned (free advice from him) I have done the cleaning thing and it didn't work so I replaced it and no luck there so it's not the problem.

It has been doing this for several years and I'm getting tired of it.

Any suggestions?

Your safetys are doing their job. It is not the flame sensor. There is
    4 or so things that could be the problem.

I do not want you to get blown up, so I suggest you call a service
    company to come out and make proper repairs. You most likely do
    not have the proper equipment to do so yourself. Call a service
    company, should not be expensive.

As Edward alluded to, this is not a DIY support forum and per the rules, we cannot provide tips. He is correct the flame sensor is not the problem and there are several other things that need looked and it should not be a very long service call.

Quote Originally Posted by dnagel View Post

I was told by the Rheem service tech who was here installing my central air this summer that it was the flame sensor and it needed cleaned (free advice from him) I have done the cleaning thing and it didn't work so I replaced it and no luck there so it's not the problem.

It has been doing this for several years and I'm getting tired of it.

Any suggestions?
    its time to get a real tech. for repaires... call a pro not a ho
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

I started to suggest the same thing but we dont know what information the original tech had. I dont think it's time to imply he's incompetent.

I would question the original techs diagnosis. If the only burner that ignites is the first one, why would the flame sensor need cleaned? It is doing its job. If there is no flame present or sensed at the last burner, the unit should shut down. Have the next tech check incoming gas pressure, static as well as when the unit tries to fire. Also have the gas pressure checked with every gas appliance firing. Have the burner orifices pulled and cleaned.