Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking New from the company everyone loves to HATE

Check out this from Fieldpiece http://www.fieldpiece.com/hvacg_tester.html
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Fieldpiece New Meter

Anyone know how much it costs? I guess you need the other heads to make it work? Looks like we will get some answers soon with its release due this month. We do alot of the same calculations they do without the need for any additional heads. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Anyone know how much it costs? I guess you need the other heads to make it work? Looks like we will get some answers soon with its release due this month. We do alot of the same calculations they do without the need for any additional heads. Very interesting.
    it says you can input the data manually do you dont have to have the heads but the heads would make it quicker

looks very awesome indeed

That was presented to us at our last RSES meeting, looks like a decent tool, and the price isn't bad, especially if you already have a collection of accessory heads.

IMO, they dropped the ball on data entry though, as it is somewhat tedious, especially if you are going to enter a client name to save the data for later download to a PDA or computer. It really needs some sort of keypad.

What I would really love to have is some Palm software with the "Check Me!" program.

We were also shown the "combustion analysis" stuff. I suppose it is better than nothing, but is definitely not a good substitute for a combustion analyzer.
    You have to hand pump a flue gas sample for the CO reading, then change heads and hand pump a sample for the O2 reading, then switch heads to get the ambient and stack temperature readings.
    Then if you are a real Fieldpiece junkie, you would have to switch heads again to get a draft reading.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 12-22-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

They may need to be careful implementing a keypad. I am not saying it is, but it could be a possible copyright infringment. Guess it really depends on what the keypad looks like and how information is inputted. Got to love the free enterprise system. No worries, we are developing new software for data logging and system preformance data which will be used to provide a the customer with a full data report and auto-fill recommendation report to advise them of recommended repairs to their system. This report will provide the customer a complete system report as well as recommended repairs. It also protects the contractor when a customer claims a component wasn't checked, increases profit through additional repairs and aids the technician with a reference guide as to what a complete maintenence should include as well as other benefits. The industry is moving fast into new development and products. In my opinion it is a good thing and about time.

Joe
    ExactCharge Industries

Joe,
    If you need volunteers to beta test any Palm based applications you are working on, my email is in my profile.
    I have access to a Windows mobile based PDA too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks Mark,

The developers are saying it will be complete in about a month. But you know how that goes. I am sure it will have a few bugs to be worked out prior to its release. I will certainly take you up on your offer and will send you the version for field testing once completed. Great to hear from you. I am very excited about this new software.

I saw an early version of it at Comfortech, I thought it was overly complicated for what it did, especially, like Mark said, the combustion analysis portion. They were trying to sell me on it for a replacement to a digital refrigeration gauge set, way too complicated to get all the readings out of it with all the head switching.
    I like my HS36 stick meter, but this.......?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    -Albert Einstein

Humm, a few too many things for me personally, but I'm sure it has it's application.

I love fieldpiece meters (I own 4 and will soon be getting the company to buy me one as well). I don't mind the heads too much vs stand alone stuff, and I've never had any problems with them either.

I don't see this in my future, but I am curious to see how it works out.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I hate to be the snob here, but it seems to me that meter is for someone whom is either new to the industry or for the DIY'r

What that thing does, I do in my head?

Call me old fashion, but it just seems unnecessary to me. I suppose it will be good for someone that doesn't work on to many a/c's ( or has to be retrained every spring )
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Talking

According to my wife I should get something, because I only have air in my head.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I hate to be the snob here, but it seems to me that meter is for someone whom is either new to the industry or for the DIY'r

What that thing does, I do in my head?

Call me old fashion, but it just seems unnecessary to me. I suppose it will be good for someone that doesn't work on to many a/c's ( or has to be retrained every spring )
    makes you look more professional to the customer.. image is everything
    you can do it in your head but the ability to pull up a customers information and detail about there unit is very handle

Lets say you did a new install, while your feeling out the warrenty information, you put in the device your superheat,subcooling,compressor amps,fan amps, system static pressure, delta T, everything that you need to know. then at anytime you return to that unit you know what its numbers where when it was just installed

i could see this being a excellent tool for charting the systems performance over time

Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    makes you look more professional to the customer..
    how you handle yourself makes you look professional, tools make a small part if any.

this think just looks like another toy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast