Confused Trane XL-14 GasPAck Indoor Fan Failure

Merry Christmas to you all!

I have a problem with my Trane XL-14 gaspack. The indoor variable speed fan does not work at all. It has suddenly failed. When I call for heat, the system fires up the gas heat, no air circulation but after a while it shuts down. The diagnostic light starts flashing four times: High Limit (TCO) Open.

I tried replacing the dual capacitor but it did not help. I removed the top of the gaspack and inspected the fan. It spins very freely but does not come on. I've inspected practically all electrical connections to insure a good connection.

I tried the air conditioner also to see if that would make the fan come on but it also does work in that mode.

I put the fan from auto to always on at the thermostat but it still does not come on. The fan light on the fan control circuit board lights up but does not operate.

Any suggestions? I am pretty handy and can perform electrical measurements but do not know where else to start.

Big Dog Daddy

Time to call a pro, you've all you can do.
    It could be several things.
    Had a customer this summer fix his own equipment and it cost him over 1K in parts he purchased, damaged and the final repair by me. He was a great guy with a lot of common sense, I felt bad for him.

My charge to fix his original problem would have only been $426 total.

Time to call a pro.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Allan

I would appreciate any suggestions that I could check out. I'm pretty competent but know enough when to stay in check.

BDD

didnt know trane put v=drive motors in package units or anyone yet

anyway these units have a lot of diffenant controls for differant jobs

if in fact it is the v=drive there are no caps to replace. the caps are in the controler and soldered in
    the controler will need replaceing if it is the problem.

you may also have a control board problem

time to call a tech and have it looked at

[QUOTE=tinknocker service tech;1707502]didnt know trane put v=drive motors in package units or anyone yet

I installed an amana package heat pump four years ago that was variable speed, still going strong, knock on wood!

[quote=sammy37;1707635]
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    didnt know trane put v=drive motors in package units or anyone yet

I installed an amana package heat pump four years ago that was variable speed, still going strong, knock on wood!

havent seen any yet but will be looking into it now

great site learn every day

Troubleshooting

The literature for the XL-14 listed the primary and secondary causes for the indoor fan failiure:

Primary:
    1. Power supply
    2. Control Transformer
    3. Low voltage fuse - checked it - is OK

Secondary:
    1. High voltage wiring - don't see anything wrong; also tried connecting and reconnecting many of the terminal connections (with power shutdown at the breaker box, of course)
    2. Low voltage wiring - thermostat connections were checked and appear OK

**** Recently, our town connected a electric load management box to the thermostate wiring - in between the yellow thermostat wiring for my 2-stage thermostat ******

Come on experts, help me out.