Trane summit vs web server

We use a Jace which also acts as a server that allows any PC on the network to view the temp control system. Is Summit a replacement for a web server? I can't picture how Summit is connected with the devices over the bldg network. If they have SUmmit on a PC then no one else can view?

Well I have been cruising through un-answered posts and came across this one so I thought I would answer.

A Summit is not a replacement for a web-server. The Trane Web-Server (Now called WebOps) works in conjunction with the Summit to provide a web interface for the Trane system.

The Summit is the main logic panel for the system but it does not have a web interface. In order to communicate directly with the Summit panel, you need Tracer Summit software. And that software gives you the ability to look at graphics on the building. But each copy of software is only good for one PC.

So what the WebOps does is that it talks Bacnet/IP with the Summit and the WebOps holds graphics which can be viewed over the inter/intranet. Once you get the WebOps you can view the system from anywhere without having individual licenses for each PC.

The downside of WebOps is that it is designed as more of a window into the system where as Tracer Summit allows you to change individual settings on equipment and modify how the system runs.

Hopefully this is a good enough definition between the two. But if it isn't I would be glad to field questions.

Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    We use a Jace which also acts as a server that allows any PC on the network to view the temp control system. Is Summit a replacement for a web server? I can't picture how Summit is connected with the devices over the bldg network. If they have SUmmit on a PC then no one else can view?
    OK OK I Am confused ...You have JACE and Summit or you have JACE and someone wants Summit with WebOps installed?

You have Trane devices or LonWorks devices.
    UA Local 141

Come on guys this topic is a year old, why bring it back up.

Berg i think the original poster just wanted to know difference between summit and a webops. Not that he has jace out there with summit, etc..

Agreed, I did not see it was so old.
    UA Local 141