Splashing in the deep end.

How steep a learning curve is there for using LonMaker to integrate third party devices into a Honeywell network? I have successfully designed and commissioned a few systems using LonSpec and LonStation. A customer has some old fan/coil units (30,000 cfm) that are currently pneumatically controlled. I quoted the upgrade to Honeywell DDC. There are some other units that might get replaced and they want McQuay (same parent company) but I am not sure how to integrate them into a LonStation network. The McQuay units would come with Lon cards. I have read Honeywell's instructions for integrating third party devices and did some tinkering today, trying to integrate a Trane ZN517 into my Honeywell demonstrator network. Managed to find an XIF in my Rover and got it registered, but LonStation didn't see the device in discovery. Of course, not having LonMaker, I skipped the step of creating a second network for the ZN517. Anyway, I wonder if LonMaker is friendly enough for a simple tech like me to learn it?

Well obviously you cannot use Lonspec with the McQuay units but you should have no problem bringing them in through Lonstation. It has been awhile, but I have brought in Trane units with Lon cards to Lonstation.
    Go Rangers!

With the Trane control you probably need the current xif file. The one that you found in Rover is likely an older version. I use LonMaker and always upload the xif from the device. Trane is continually updating the xif files at the factory and the online versions are not necessarily up to date. I am not familiar with the Honeywell software. Is there a utility to uplaod the xif?

If you do not already have Lonmaker you can download NodeUtil from Echelon for free. This will allow you to create an XIF file among other things.
    Go Rangers!

xif upload

Dapper, there is no upload utility with LonStation or LonSpec. That is a key feature that made LonMaker look desirable. What I am trying to decide is whether or not to convince my employer to purchase LonMaker, or would an alternate software be just as good? lwarren, do you have an opinion of which software has the most utility?

If you only need to upload an XIF file I would download NodeUtil because it is free. If you are wanting an LNS Software tool then Lonmaker would be one to choose from.
    Go Rangers!